Monday, September 19, 2011

Lyle and the Windy Day



Dear Reader,

Today was a windy day. This was a good day to ride Lyle because the wind will provoke a horse to misbehave if it is going to misbehave. So Lyle and I rode. And Lyle reverted to his old behavior. This bad behavior was originally caused by Lyle being ridden, by a different rider, in a frame of hyperflexion, a western version of rolker.

In the lower picture you can see that Lyle spoked. The picture does not show it, but the spook was violent. Lyle crouched, and jumped violently to the side. The only reason that I was able to sit this bad spook was because I had my weight in my feet and I had my ankles and feet resting against Lyle's sides. Had I been gripping with my KNEES I would have come off plus the saddle would have slipped. This is why it is so vital to never grip with the knees.

After this spook, Lyle reverted to a fear re-action and he re-enacted his hyperflexion type behavior. I had to continue to keep my promise to him. So I continued to use the lightest possible cue. Thank God I was able to keep control of him. We rode until Lyle started to relax and until he started to drop his head and give me a nice curve to his neck when I would ask for a turn. One thing that I have found is that making "snake trails," that is making serpentines will help a fractious horse to put his attention back on the rider. This is because the serpentine does not frighten a horse and it does not provoke it to fight when it is done properly. Yet the serpentine does give a rider much control if it is done before a full fledged bad behavior.

In the first picture you can see Lyle "bulling" on the bosal. The only way that I was able to control that was to continue to offer him the release the instant that he stopped bulling. This release also meant that he would make a very slight turn.

I will not write "enjoy the pictures" because they are not nice. But I will write that I care enough to continue to offer Lyle a chance for a good life of service to the human. I will ride him again tomorrow and let you know what happens. Allen Pogue warned me that it would take at least a year of good solid riding to retrain Lyle. Mr. Pogue was right. But I hope to be more tenacious than the bad behavior. It is a matter of principle because I do not want the bad to win.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Kootenai Curly Horses

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

6 comments:

  1. Penny, I want to tell you that you inspire me. When the going gets tough, the tough get going! That is what you do. And for not enjoying the pictures. I love to see pictures (I enjoy them all!) You have your hands full and you are doing everything right by taking your time. In time things will come and only get better :) When I first started with Marley, I didn't know if things where giong to work out because he was so scared of everything. Look at where we are today cause we didn't give up! Keep up the good work!!!! Oh and Marley did get lots of treats and hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, I agree with Dana, you are an inspiration! I like to hear your take on things, and what you do to solve problems. You don't just show the icing on the cake, if you know what I mean. Dana, I can't believe that MARLEY???? used to be scared of everything?! Are we talking about the Marley who is doing ACTHA and is a police horse and trailers out to ride in strange country? THAT Marley? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny, thank you for sharing the good and those "not so good" days too. =] I too appreciate your candor and for not being afraid to admit when you might have made a mistake AND being humble when you do have success. =] I am pleased as punch to see such great interaction and encouragement. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana,
    Thank you. When you have time Please tell about Marley and the journey of love that you and he took together to give him the confidence in his heart. I believe that Marley's story will inspire all of us. He is a wonderful horse. I enjoy following his adventures and look forward to reading about him and you. I really want to learn form his story.
    Thank you, again.
    Penny
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    Thank you. It was my bad judgment that got Lyle into the bad training in the beginning. So I had the moral obligation to try and give him a decent life of service to human beings. And Lyle will get there.
    To be honest, after being so very sick for so very long Lyle is literally forcing me to reach out, do ALL that I can do, redefine my limits, test my own body again and to trust my own body again. Good is coming from the original bad training. That fact makes me happy.
    Again, thank you,
    Sincerely,
    Penny
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise,.
    You are the lady that inspired all of us to be more candid. Remember how you explained about riding bare back, letting your mind wonder and then coming off of Reese. That has been a reminder to me to be show candor. I thank you for your good example.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete