Monday, September 26, 2011

Lyle Is In the Bit!




Dear Reader,

For a reason that I can not explain, it seemed like the right time to dispense with the bosal and put Lyle in the bit. In the morning he and I did some ground work, working only on me giving him the release while the bit and bridle were on him. Then in the afternoon, I saddled him and gave him the bit. (We are using a Rockin' S low port, three piece snaffle bit made by Reinsmen. This bit has a very low port that can be turned so that it interacts with a completely different part of Lyle's mouth than a regular, two piece snaffle does. He likes the bit very well.)

After saddling, Lyle and I rode. It was only a short ride of maybe 10 minutes. It was only around the hay shed. But Lyle allowed me to feel of him and he allowed himself to feel of me. I would take up some pressure. As soon as he gave me the smallest yield, I would give him a generous release. Lyle was seeking to know if he could trust me to keep my promise to always give him the release and to never jerk on the rein. Lyle is seeking now instead of fighting, he is willing to give me his feel and he is willing to receive my feel. This is wonderful. Here are three pictures that show what we did.

In one picture I am "framing" Lyle just the way you would frame a green horse on his first ride. In the other pictures I am asking for a turn so that Lyle's attention remains on me. He is giving me some nice beginning yields. I am giving him a generous release as his reward. I am wearing my chaps in case Lyle were to jump out from under me, as he has tried to before. But he never even thought about doing that.

Lyle and I still have a very long way to go. God willing, we will make that journey together.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Kootenai Curly Horses

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

No comments:

Post a Comment