Tuesday, September 6, 2011

How We Celebrated Labor Day











Ulla’s daughter Luvon came just after dawn and whisked Ah-D and me away to Poland for a lovely trail ride to the lake. Ah-D was absolutely wonderful! He was the consummate trail horse, willing to go first, second or third, taking everything in stride. We cantered along the edge of this big field; Ah-D and I brought up the rear and cantered at the pace I asked for with no racing or foolishness. As I have mentioned before, the paint Indigo is green, and she decided that she did NOT want to cross a small stream. Clearly, she thought it was dangerous and planted her feet, even though Ah-D demonstrated that there was nothing to fear by traipsing back and forth across the brook many times. Finally, I moved Ah-D in behind her and had him shove her butt with his shoulder whilst I gave her a good swift kick in the arse. That did the trick. :) Later on when we reached the lake, it was Indigo’s turn to teach Ah-D that the lake was f-u-n, FUN! Ah-D stared at the waves a bit before Indigo walked right in a started pawing at the water. Ah-D decided the lake must not be too bad after all and strode right in. Here, I am admiring a loon, but as you can tell, Ah-D couldn’t care less. After our dip in the water, we ate a breakfast of Sabbathday Rolls, which are delicious sweet honey buns that Ulla bakes. All the people and the horses enjoyed them very much. I was pretty hungry by that time. We also all shared some apples. We passed some beautiful country while touring about. I absolutely love this planted stand of pines all in neat, straight rows. The horses walked on the carpet of pine needles and their hooves made nary a sound. It smelled heavenly in there. Speaking of smelling heavenly, check this out! I got the biggest kick out of this planter decorating the yard in front of a trailer. I just could not stop admiring it and wondered aloud whether my husband would like it if I put one of these in my flower gardens. Luvon and Ulla did not think so. ~Susan and Didder enjoying the end of the summer in Maine~

7 comments:

  1. Susan,
    It looks like a wonderful ride. Are Ah-D and Didder the same horse? It sounds as if they are, but I do not know for sure. Happy Trails,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Penny, one and the same. That is my nickname for him. Sorry for the confusion, and Happy Trails to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you guys had a wonderful ride as well. Those buns sound really good too (I have a really bad sweet tooth) I just love to play in the water every chance we get but this past weekend it was to cold. By the way I love that flower pot you found, that was very creative! Have to keep us posted on how yours will look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    Lover Didder, great nickname for a fine fella. Thanks again for brightening my day with photos of color and flowers...
    P.S. I thought we Texans were the only ones who planted in our old cast iron tubs and toilets{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Susan the way the flowers are growing it must have been well fertilized.
    Looks like a great ride you guys had, expect to see some buns in the mail next week.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow it still looks so lovely and summer at your place. Love the pictures! Over here it feels like autumn allready with lost of rain and storm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome way to spend Labour Day!! Sounds like an awesome ride. I'm hoping next year to trailer Linus to some trails that are near a spot where you can take the horses into a lake. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete