Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Lyle, a Mystery

Dear Reader,

No pictures today because I was working completely alone. Actually, I very much prefer to ride alone because that way I can give my full attention to the horse.

Lyle and I worked on turns. He did alright. Not great, but O.K. After we were done, I put him away with the mare group where he lives.

There is one thing that I do with a horse that I am training to ride. I will, about half of the time, go back and get them after putting them away. This is because I do not want the horse to get so that it expects to not have to work again after being ridden. I do not want it to get spoiled and demand to be on welfare after being ridden. Lyle is NO exception to this rule. So, after about ten or fifteen minutes, I went back and caught Lyle and we started to ride again. This time I did not re-saddle him. Just rode bare back. But something in me had changed. I somehow was able to surrender my own ego and ride Lyle with no expectations and with no personal ambitions. It was a very strange feeling for me to surrender my very self, my ego and to ride with only the part of me where soul and spirit come together. That is to ride with no demands on either myself or on Lyle, but to ride completely in the moment. And what happened amazed me. Lyle started making perfect turns, with his head low, his neck relaxed and with me only using my fingers on the reins. I am thankful. I only wish that I could explain what happened. But I can not.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so great! It is so very hard to let go of expectations and be truly relaxed! I wish I also knew how to get into this state every time I rode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Izzy, now words could explain your wonderful expectations and how well they work
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harold,
    I honestly do not know how to describe what happened. Hopefully, it will happen again and again.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete