Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ahhhhhhh-D






I spent quite a bit of quality time with my previously naughty pony before getting in the saddle today. Last night and this morning before chores, we did some refresher work on bending to pressure. We repeated again after sacking out and saddling. I got in two well-timed elbow jabs in AhD's face as he tried his usual nibbling game on me during the girthing process. I kept up my "soft talk" during each jab, and it worked like a charm to stop the freshness but keep the happy attitude. I also spent an extra amount of time grooming him and fussing over him, and during this time I left the new bridle equipped with a full cheek twisted broken snaffle bit where he could examine it. He checked it out thoroughly. Instead of mounting by the barn door where it seemed slippery, I led him down the road to the trail, doing a bit of "gee" and "haw" work like I had done in the barn, to make sure he was good with the feel of the new bit. Seeing the amount of snow piled on the trail, I almost gave up instead of proceeding.



But as I stepped into the thigh-high snow drift to take a picture, AhD stepped right up to it. I thought, hmmm, maybe it isn't quite so deep further from the road, and took a couple more steps. AhD very happily followed me!




This was teamwork! I showed him I was willing to venture out into the deep snow, so it didn't bother him a bit this time!




I led him a ways on the trail and mounted. He stood like a perfect gentleman, no fidgiting, and then we headed off up the trail.




The stop-start zig-zag only lasted for two thumps on the rump with my crop. I kept an encouraging voice and showed no agitation whatsoever, and AhD moved off in a straight line up the trail with a decent forward walk, plowing through the snow.




Knowing the bit must have been a big change, I kept my hands as soft on his mouth as I could. I asked him for several unexpected whoas, turns, circles and horizontal gives. I took him on short alternate routes on the trail and avoided any place where we had scared up deer in the past because I didn't need to prove this point today; I proved it the day he had The Nasties.




What an enjoyable experience today! I purposely kept the ride short and even used the blue saddle blanket for good luck.




Here is an "after" picture of AhD and his bubblehead owner.

And here is AhD getting pats and hugs from my boy Ian and his best friend, which he richly deserved for not freaking out while they whizzed a football back and forth around him as I was untacking at the hitching post.

4 comments:

  1. BOY SUSAN I can't believe what a difference a blue saddle blanket will make on a Gelding!!!! Aren't you glad you took an old man's advice about the color of a pad, make sure you don't listen to Denise about color, she is a little ratteled in that department, color blind to but don't say nothing to her about it!!
    I didn't get to ride today but spent the day with the horses doing a little TLC with them and working on a colt, we had 40 degrees today and what a change for us..
    Keep up the great work and good blanket!!
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, awesome! It looks like you did a very thorough job there Susan and it paid off! Good for you. It was really cool to see you in your bundled winter outfit....we look like twins! ;-))

    Is Harold picking on me again??! ;-) Makes me have an itchin' to zip over to ebay and pick up some hot pink bling tack for Reese! And maybe some purple chaps for me!

    In my defense, the winter may be blinding my good judgement... anything that looks the tiniest bit like a spring flower, is refreshing!

    Color deprived in the deep snow of Michigan,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need to ride in pink gear, you could get Smartpink from Smartpak, 10% of proceeds go to breast cancer research, maybe he wouldn't get pms. (or Smartblue, supports horse rescues) Ah D Das always was a smart pony ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, sounds like you did a great job keeping a level head and reassuring Ah D you were fit to be in charge. Well Done! Us bubbleheads got to show it off for the camera every once in awhile...maybe what we really need is hot pink helmet covers?? I'm guessing you'll stick to just saddle blankets for now... :P

    Brie

    ReplyDelete