Monday, January 26, 2009

Yesterday, My first "Ride with Me" adventure

I also posted this on Curly Haven, so for repeat readers, I do apologize, although this posting is greatly reduced in extraneous details. :-)

At the last minute, Robyn (Caryn's sister and a good friend of mine from HS days) decided to join Caryn (Good friend of mine from HS days and also my brother's other half, she owns Star and Zypher here) and I for the ride today. So, Robyn rode Epona (as she is my surest riding horse here), while Caryn rode Star and I rode Lyra.
When we started out it had just stopped flurrying lightly, later on it started sprinkling, but then stopped completely. Was fairly chilly, but nice, about 34F or so. I don't really consider myself to be a horse trainer, as I've done all of Epona and Lyra's saddle training myself though, it brings me enormous joy to be able to share them with other people and be able to go out and ride together.
We went for a very short "trail" ride and came back early; for more on that feel free to read my blog or go to Curly Haven's message board.
After that I worked Epona, Lyra, and Star in the field here some.
In the field I worked with Epona, Lyra, and Star on some trotting, some bending, and some canter. I know it doesn't show here, but I was pretty much grinning from ear to ear the whole time. I just love getting to ride my own ponies and do things with them. Until recently none of my horses were cantering under saddle, so this was particularly wonderful for me. Made me feel like a little kid. Next step is getting everyone else comfortable riding at a more advanced level so we can all trot and canter and do more advanced things; all in good time though, and really, all of it is fun for me. :-)




The last picture here is of Epona doing an extended trot, when I see pictures of what she is doing under me while I ride her, I am always amazed, she has incredible movement!

Brandon and I watched some Dressage clips from the Olympics last night. Every time I see some of the more advanced riders riding the extended trot, sitting to it, I am always amazed. Last night I said, wow, I wish I could actually do that rather than immediately going into posting trot. Brandon said "You can do that, just do it." Granted while riding Epona I was in the western saddle (love that thing btw, it's an old working cow/roping saddle, doesn't move on the horse's back at all and built to pull down a house) but I sat her extended trot, as well as Star's, very exciting for me! So I am glowing and ridiculously happy!!

Then today, I got to take Rhys out, he was pouting about being left behind yesterday. We did a bunch of speed and length of stride transitions, I was trying to just use my seat to accomplish all of this. I also did a lot of riding in two-point, my legs are going to be killing me tomorrow!! I had a really great time though!! I think Rhys did also and of course the dogs enjoyed getting out as well. All in all a good day.
Hope this finds everyone well.
~Heather
www.skygazerranch.com

3 comments:

  1. We should probably explain the 'ride with me' adventure Heather, so everyone is caught up to speed. lol. About 6 of us decided to pre-arrange a specific time to ride, no matter where we lived across the country...sort of as a way to fight the winter blues but also to motivate ourselves to ride together "in spirit" even if physically we were out there alone. The idea is touch base before you head out, then call each other via cell phone while on the trail, but we didn't coordinate that so well. We opted to touch base when we got back with all we did. It was a hoot!!! Thanks for joining us Heather and for sharing your story! We will be doing another one soon...I'll keep ya posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, its so neat to see pictures of Epona! I got to meet her awhile back when I visited Tames & Jim and she is one of my favorite Curlies. She's also one of Sage's relatives, and in these pictures I can see where maybe he gets some of his wonderful trot from her. She is his granddam on his sire's side. So thanks for posting them!

    Brie (& Sage)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That extended trot on Epona is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete