Friday, January 16, 2009

Cold Winter Wonderland

Well, unfortunately there will not be any accompanying photos of me daring the cold (today I woke up to -25 without the wind chill) for a brisk winter ride at the moment, but there is much more to horses than just gracing their back and heading down the trail.
Although I mostly despite the winter cold, for more reasons than just the fact that you can feel almost nothing discernible other than the onset of frostbite or hypothermia, at least in these temperatures... there are some admirable qualities that have come to mind for me.

1) Play Time - I know it isn't just my horses who rush about in a panic of play in this cold weather, partly because there is little else to do with no grass peeking out through the hard packed ice and snow and in an effort to stay warmer than they would standing about waiting for spring time. I'm always entertained by their frisky personalities as they gallop from one end of the field to the other, sometimes alone, usually with friends. Or as they playfully bite, buck, kick, rear and wrastle with each other (and yes, I did just type wrastle..). It even encourages the old men in my pasture (namely my Paso Fino, and very first horse, Jerry) to kick his Justify Fullhabit of grumping at the youngsters and kick up his own heels between play-fight trysts with those same adolescents.

2) Being Yourself - There is no use in trying to play the fashionista part, it is pointless to gussy up your hair because it will soon be ruined by a combination of your winter hat + static cling. So, winter is a great time to embrace the true you, the rough and sometimes tumble equestrian, horseback rider, equine connosoirre. My horses get to play the same game. They are all wooly and perhaps weedy in their grooming. As best as I might try to keep them purty in the winter, it generally comes down to genetics and their ability to stay clean by rolling in the snow that I rely upon. At least the winter we get a repreive from burdock in their manes and tails, and of course those lovely mud baths they do so enjoy the rest of the year!

3) Catch Up - Catch up and make up... winter gives me the chance to do what I have been putting off all summer thanks to my wonderful horses who distract me to no end, and a time when I can start planning out events and occasions for just such a distraction in the coming year. Of course there is also lots of tack to clean up and why not do it indoors when it is too cold outside?

4) I didn't have a title for this one, but one of my favorite things about the winter is the opportunity to catch up with great friends, explore new adventures that are not directly horse related, read a few good books, watch a couple memorable movies, and contemplate just what it is that I want to achieve for myself and with my horses. Winter also gives me a wonderful chance to realize that horses are and always will be my biggest passion in life, and every day that is too cold to ride is one day too many.

Erica K. Frei
Awareness In Riding
Author of "Centered Self, Centered Horse : A Simple Guide to Horsemanship"

3 comments:

  1. I am so much enjoying everyone posts and the pics are amazing. Thanks for sharing Erica. I had to laugh when I read the part of being yourself. This is SO true. In the winter, I bundle up and I think I would scare people if they saw me. Super puffy jacket that is a size too big, and dirty most days, pants that are only staying up with safety pins and a goofy looking chook to protect my face from the cold. Slap on a helmet and a fashion statement, I am NOT. LoL. And playtime, definitely big time in the winter. They love the time off and the crisp air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful winter wonderland of playtime captured within your photo...Erica you've truly captured the essence of winter and horse ownership! I chuckled out loud reading your posts--with visions of our horses playful antics, being myself (and that can be quite a picture anytime of year around the ranch!:~), catching up (and this cold snap has allowed for a lot of that)and favorite things about winter....hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, well admittedly I only play the role of true trooper all bundled up a fraction of what it used to be. Now that I work at two day spas I unfortunately have to play favor to two worlds but find the best humor of all on my days off when I have to occasionally wander into the spa in my grubbies and surprise all the girls as to my true persona - horse manured boots and all! :)

    ReplyDelete