Thursday, January 8, 2009

Equine Sled-Joring!

Hi Everyone! All your posts inspired me to get out myself! I just had to share with you a little fun we had with Reese (*Prairie Espresso Dream) yesterday on my "Birthday Eve" ;-) This is my kind of "ground work!" lol. Most horses need some introduction to the sled and also to the idea of pulling. Reese does it effortlessly so you wouldn't know that there is alot of tork on the end of that rope. I did this with him one other time about 3 years ago and I just hooked him up and went. BUT, he has some draft blood in him and he is extremely laid back. So just be careful if you try this at home. Go slow.....and have fun!! Watch our Video!

5 comments:

  1. What FUN!!!!!! you need a sled with better steering to do that often. Those sleds don't steer for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you attach the rope that leads to the sled? -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I attach it to the D rings on the side BUT I wouldn't suggest doing a loop like we did. It might be a little dangerous. If your horse isn't desensitized to the rope dangling, first try wrapping it a couple times around the horn and then have the other person hold on to it with a big knot at the other end. Never tie the rope TO the sled. This way you both can always release and be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I am jealous of all that beautiful snow Denise! WOW! We obviously don't get that here in Texas. What a winter wonderland and Reese did so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just too cool. We are DOING that. I just told my husband and he agreed. :) We are so going to try that with Dolly. :D Some years ago, I got her used to driving lines, so the concept shouldn't be completely foreign to her.

    ReplyDelete