Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year!


Now that my Mom has headed back to MT, thought I'd take a little time to blog on what I've been up to thus far with my lovely Curlies.
On New Years, as part of the ground work division, I took the babies, Xandra and Zypher, and then Star (as she is fairly new to the herd and still has terrible leave the herd behind and meet new things anxiety) for a snowy walk through the park near here. We mostly worked on new surroundings and meeting other people out to enjoy the trails, encountered two cross country skiers, Brandon rode his bike, so there was a biker, and, of course, our pack of dogs criss-crossing in and out of the woods, darting about following their noses and back again to check in. Terrain wise there was a snowy bridge, huge, cold, puddles and several downed trees we went over, under, and around. Xandra and Zypher acted like this was any other day, they were interested, curious, but completely un-phased by any of it. Star was having a minor temper tantrum the entire time, trying to get back to the herd, she did manage the whole thing ok though and nothing seemed to upset her too badly aside from the being away from everyone else part. Wish I'd had the camera, didn't, as it was snowing/sleeting through the whole thing. Lots of fun though.
The following day I took Epona, Star, and Lyra out riding, down our half mile driveway, across the street, and into the park. Makes for an interesting ride (by interesting I mean a good work out) getting on and off to move trees and get around those I couldn't move. I am glad none of my horses are all that tall relatively speaking. The snow here has been weird, for one we rarely get snow, for another it was perfect snow ball throwing snow, then wet, then iced on top, not really all that good for a snow ride, then it was mostly slushy, which was ok for riding in, then it would all melt away by the never ending rain, only to get another dusting of it. Strange weather here. It was nice to get out in it none the less though and see how my Curly Girls did with the different footing and obstacles. They did fabulously, of course, which was nice.
On the third day of January, I actually convinced my Mom to ride Epona, by the time everyone was ready, it was getting dark, poor planning. Rode to the end of the drive and back, was really fun though!! I rarely get to actually ride with other people, when I do it is such a treat. My Mom hadn't been riding in a very long time, so it was doubly sweet to get her on one of the Curlies, she absolutely loves their gaits and how little she moved while riding on Epona's back, not to mention how just nice Epona was to ride, sweet and easy going.All in all the New Year is off to a fantastic start! I am really loving getting to participate in this year's RAC and read along with everyone else's adventures.
Ride On!!
~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment