Sunday, January 18, 2009

Snowstorm Riding










When we started today's ride, there was 4-5" of light new snow. I was savoring the fact that I had my favorite, well-used rein back, since my husband Dana repaired it for my birthday. The feel of it was just as good as I remembered, and it allowed AhD to lower his head well to break through the deep snow.









There were a lot of deer tracks through the newly fallen snow. The woods were beautiful and peaceful, with the deep snow muffling the sounds.




The evergreens were laden with the white powdery stuff, but I was layered to the hilt, so it was actually fun trying to duck under them. AhD kept stopping to ask if I REALLY wanted him to keep trudging through all this snow. I did.
As we approached the Scary Culverts, a big deer leaped out across the open field just ahead of us. I would have loved to get a picture to share, but discretion is the better part of valor when you are riding alone in the woods, and AhD was on Full Alert. The deer was graceful and his bounds were HUGE. What a sight! I took this picture just before the deer leaped out. Obviously, AhD knew he was there before I did. AhD was a very good boy about the deer, and listened to me carry on about how beautiful it was. We followed the tracks for awhile, but stuck to the trail when they veered off into the thick underbrush.
All in all, another spectacular winter ride!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan!!! I am living thru your ride tonight...been stripping stalls (still). Sounds as though your ride was magical and lovely. What a wonderful hubby to have fixed that rein for you. And what a handsome mount you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, what a neat looking set of pictures you have and what happened to the right saddle blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooo Hooo....THERE's our favorite 2008 RAC'ers! Harold good to see you made it and have learned to use the new blog. I was worried I had scared you away! And great to see AHD on the big screen again Susan. REALLY enjoyed your post...keep em' coming. YOU TOO, harold!

    ReplyDelete