Sunday, January 11, 2009

Snow Blanket









The newly fallen snow and sunny 20 degree temperature led to near-perfect riding conditions for us in Maine today.



Since this is what AhD looked like when I chored this morning, I brushed him off and then brought him inside the barn to dry out. He was more than happy to come in, because yesterday there was a Big Event in AhD's life - our baby beef arrived to be AhD's buddies for a season. AhD is enjoying being the Top Dog, and he likes the company.




This afternoon, the time came for my much anticipated ride! I saddled AhD up, and off we went. The wood were absolutely beautiful and the weather was crisp and invigorating. After a few minutes on the trail, AhD decided that he was working too hard in all this snow, and he went on strike, refusing to move forward. This was a new tactic on his part, so my new tactic to counteract it was to unhitch the leadrope and lay it none too gently across his rearend. He abandoned his new tactic.





We continued on down the trail, and traveled on the snowmobile tracks. The tracks offered AhD a little relief from his hard work breaking the trail, but it was not hard-packed, so it still gave me the comfort of slowing him up and stopping many of his silly antics. The waning sun almost made the snow appear blue; it was so beautiful! I have always been a summer person rather than a winter person, but there sure is something to be said for the snowcovered pristine landscapes of winter when you are wearing a thick curly coat or long johns and fleece. (and there are no bugs, right Harold?)


The snowladen evergreens dropped a ton of snow on us as we passed through the woods, and I was thankful for my turtleneck.



AhD decided that the culverts that were pulled up from the brook last fall had turned into dangerous predators.

So we stared at them awhile.

One of us even snorted a bit like a wild stallion.

I think the culverts were inspiring to AhD, because a bit later, he decided it was time for a fast charge down the trail. I decided on a one reined stop into the trees. After I proved my point and we had walked on some more, we both enjoyed a nice big airy snow trot.

All in all, our first venture out in 2009 was awesome, and I wish my fellow RACers as much fun as I enjoyed today. Happy trails to you all! I love reading your blogs. -Susan and AhD

No comments:

Post a Comment