Saturday, January 24, 2009

An Outside View of The Inside

I've been contemplating, since that seems to be something I tend towards when I am well inspired. I'm not a big competitor in general, I've long given up most competitive interest with horses but find the personal competition with RAC inspiring. I feel like this is such a positive form of competition. Mostly, as riders, we are competing against our own individual potential, and we are competing in a way to benefit the horse most. We are not competing to win a blue ribbon necessarily, we are not putting our horses on the speed circuit to break down in an effort to be favored by some judge in the ring. Instead we are having lots of fun riding our horses in whatever way suits us and our horses best, we are promoting them at events and talking to people about why we LOVE these Curly-haired monsters. *grin*

It makes me think about one of my favorite mentors, who would say that riding cannot be based on what it looks like from the outside, because it is all a feeling. How can you judge the relationship someone has with their husband/wife based on the external actions they make with each other? You cannot for the same reason you cannot quantify the chemistry two people may have between each other as friends, family members, or spouses unless you are one of them. Or, as my mom and Life Coach would say, stop comparing your insides to their outsides!

Which then leads me off a tangent circling back around to the Curlies again. We all know that wonderful feeling that we have when in the company with our Curly horses, and while unfamiliar onlookers may be confused and befuddled, we know the feeling. We know the addiction to Curlies! ha ha
And perhaps that is one of the keys to helping promote this wonderful breed, to pass along the feeling rather than the description. We are such an open and inviting group of equestrians and I think it quite rare to hear of someone not being asked to come and visit and see our great Curlies in person. We are naturals at helping bring people closer to the feeling aspect of a relationship with the Curlies.

I hear that the cold weather is coming again for a short stint but I already have my gear out to be cleaned and prepped for a busy spring and lots of time logged for the RAC!

Erica K. Frei
Awareness In Riding

Get a copy of my book "Centered Self, Centered Horse : A Simple Guide to Horsemanship" online today!

3 comments:

  1. Erica I enjoyed reading your post. As a child and adolescent I used to be fiercely competitive. I also wanted Thoroughbreds and Warmbloods to be equally competitive with, I didn't want ponies or "nice", "quiet" individuals.
    At that time my Mom said something that proved to be a turning point in my life. She said "You know, no matter who wins the competition, someone has to lose." I just hadn't thought of it that way before.
    I no longer consider myself to be very competitive, usually. I do love my quiet, calm, Curly time, I don't have the need for speed or winning against others, I don't enjoy situations that force the issue of having anyone lose.
    I too enjoy the RAC "competition" for it's encouragement of getting out and sharing our Curlies, with others and each other. For me, this is my idea of healthy competition, as you said, with ones self, to be the best equestrians and partners with our horses that we can be, trying to spread the feel of relationship with our Curlies.
    In general I've found our community of Curly "horse people" to be a very different, much more positive and supportive group than any I have previously interacted with, it's all a lot nicer, safer feeling.
    I am so hapy to be part of this community and look forward to all of our continued support and encouragement of each other as we all learn and grow and draw more individuals into the wonderful world of our Beloved Bashkir Curlies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    It is amazing when I think about the progression we make as individuals and equestrians. I think that horses have taught me a vast amount in such a short time and there is still so much left! At the same time we progress and revert only to relearn the same things. I have attempted to move back towards competition at various times and found immediately that it made me miserable. :)
    I think you are right when you talk about this breed group vs. some others, but I don't think it is defined by the breed itself so much as the size, close community that we have built thanks to being such a small crew, and that we have similar goals revolving around the better-ment of the horses rather than the achievement of a superficial label.
    There are people in every breed who are different from the general grouping, which is important to remember, but I am always happy that I stumbled upon a coming 2 year old untrained curly stallion far away in Canada for "too much" money when I was looking for a 3-4 year old gelding within an hour's drive for "little to no" money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And perhaps that is one of the keys to helping promote this wonderful breed, to pass along the feeling rather than the description.

    For me, this is my idea of healthy competition, as you said, with ones self, to be the best equestrians and partners with our horses that we can be, trying to spread the feel of relationship with our Curlies.


    Thank you both for putting this into words so well...my thoughts exactly. Especially with my own ongoing health issues and Sage's on again off again lameness, I have to remember *not* to be competitive, or I will end up riding him on a day I shouldn't, either because he needs to take care of his body, or because I need to take care of mine.

    I struggle a lot to not be too competitive and my challenge this year is to participate in the contest, while also keeping the best interests of both myself and my horse in mind. Its a tough balance, but I am very thankful for the supportive Curly community here. I think we have all been encouraged to try our best, and set new goals for ourselves, but the nice thing is, no one does lose in this competition, as long as our horses win. :)

    Here's to continuing to promote and better the future of this wonderful breed!

    Brie (& Sage)

    ReplyDelete