Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Spending time with Lakota


Hello everyone,

First, I promise not to give the predicted temperatures in North Texas for tomorrow. My sweet sister who lives in North Carolina, where it is snowing today, was shocked when I told her our temps today were in the 70's.

Taking advantaged of this wonderful and rare sunshine this past weekend, Warrior Mead Berndt "Lakota" and I headed out for a ride. Normally, I ride English but have decided to invested in Western Tack for my husband to use when riding. After getting the new western saddle on I put on a western shank bit and bridle but Lakota was not very pleased with it. Neither was I and not wanting him to be uncomfortable I decided to just use a halter and lead rope tied as a rein. Yes, I should have known better - especially at my age!

Well, soon as I mounted I realized the saddle was too large for me and the stirrups way too long. (Yes, I should have checked them before I mounted.) So in a very "unlady" like position I tried to shorten them but in doing so the lead rope came undone and off we go, legs dangling and me half in the saddle. Through the barn and around the paddock we went - yes I think it would be called an extended trot.

All I could do was hold on to that beautiful flaxen mane and worry about his tripping on the lead rope. Lakota was a perfect gentleman! I calmly spoke to him (as calmly as I could) and he came to a smooth transition and stopped gently after a few laps around the barn. I dismounted and we shared a big smile and chuckle. He really is a smart and intuitive horse with a huge heart. I love him more each day. Oh, yes, I'm using my English tack from now on!


Angie and big warm hearted Lakota

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Angie! That made me laugh out loud! Bless your heart! Hang in there - it sounds like he is coming along nicely and he is a very forgiving boy! Just remember...COWGIRL UP! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda,

    I really am lucky to have the opportunity to know Lakota. Thank you!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete