Monday, August 22, 2011

Back in the "saddle" again

Well after having been offline and busy busy training the youngsters, we have turned out about half of the herd so I have had time to concentrate on me. And late last week I took my trusty bucket(substitute for a mounting block) and went out to where my horse was tethered eating for the day.
I looped my riding line over his neck, snapped it to his halter, placed the bucket next to him and after 6 or 7 jumps managed to get across his back with my belly. I then shimmied into a sitting position, adjusted my legs and bottom and asked Mocha to "walk". He did quite willingly and as we were headed towards home and water he was less willing than usual to stand when asked. But each time I asked and corrected he respected and cooperated.
Then yesterday conditions were right again so I repeated the process only this time I rode down the road, up the driveway, through the "gauntlet" and right up to the pen where his buddies had already been taken. He was apprehensive of the big new lift in the drive (we are having some repairs done) and the shortened weeds along the gauntlet allowed him to see scary horse eating things that had been hidden. All in all we did great!
For those wondering, I have been trying to get my nerve up to ride again after a couple of spills riding bareback and a bad experience in a class at the local community college. A couple of weeks ago I had an epiphany moment where i realized I needed to worry less about what everyone else around me is/are/were/will be doing and just focus on myself and Mocha and our relationship. Then between the two mini rides I realized I also need to give him and therefore myself things to do to keep our minds occupied so we neither on worry about silly stuff. To that end we wove around this rock and that thistle and stopped and stood and I wiggled my hiney and petted and patted and twisted around. And the bottom line - WE DID IT!!! YEEEEE HAAAWWWWW

5 comments:

  1. Dear Ellen,
    Thank you for what you wrote. I have struggled with my cfs/chronic encephalitis and have lost trust in my own body. I have not lost trust in the horse but rather in my own physical body. For me, as for you, the best help has been to set small goals and then to work towards them in a thoughtful way. One other thing has helped me. That is to completely forget about myself and the creature I call "me." To do this I set my heart on a vision of what can I do on the horse's back that is both helpful for the horse and that is truly good horsemanship. (If it is helpful for the horse it always results in the horse giving the rider his attention in a good way. So that is what I judge my actions by.)
    Again, thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, good for you. I am still not totally confident to climb on Marley bareback yet. No dumps like what you have taken, just don't feel ready yet. Keep working away at it, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey lady,
    Where's the video? LOL Love your spunk girlfriend. Keep the spirit and live to ride{:> Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, there is nothing like a successful bareback ride to bond with your beloved horse. You go Girl!!!!! Love that comment about not sweating the small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To all thanks for the support! It feels good!

    ReplyDelete