Monday, August 15, 2011

Delinquent Blogger writes again!


I don't want to have to say that I took advantage of a bad situation to participate in the August promotion, but, that IS the bottom line. A week ago my husband, David, who has a very strong aversion to doctors, unexpectedly found himself in the hospital! He didn't have chest pain, and couldn't feel a fast heart beat, but he had "atrial flutter" and extremely high blood pressure that they couldn't fix in the E.R. with medications. So, he spent 2 days in the hospital on telemetry, where they ultimately cardioverted his heart electrically!

While I was a bit concerned while it was happening, I had the fore-thought to put on my RAC 2011 T-shirt! I was totally amazed by how much attention it drew!! Let's face it, though-- most people in a hospital are either working or don't want to be there, so they are ALL looking for distractions! The number one first question was "What is a Curly?" Answering that in a succinct but clear manner so that a non-horse-person's eyes don't glaze over is a bit challenging! The people who asked "Do you ride?" were much easier to talk to!! Universally, no one in the Thayer Campus of Maine General Hospital had ever heard of a Curly horse!! There are at least 20 people walking around who HAVE now learned about Curlies, thanks to David's "adventure." (we're talking about a man who was last in the hospital 32 years ago for knee surgery! You can fill in the rest!!)
Laurie

5 comments:

  1. Oh Laurie, thoughts and prayers are with you and David for his continued recovery.
    But, you did a fabulous job sharing Curlies with the hospital staff. What a strong lady you are to be so calm and cool with everything going on and still promote our Curly friends.
    Hugs to you both.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I am so glad your hubby is OK! Laurie, you crack me up wearing your tshirt and talking curlies during the stay. Just seeing that bright light green tshirt in the photo sure brightened my day, so I am sure you brought joy and fun to the hospital those few days. Sometimes people need diversions in a situation like that....great job and keep us posted on David! We wish him well and no more scares like that! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie,
    May David continue to recover. I wish you both the best and good health for both of you.
    I am glad to know you just a little, even though it is only "on line."
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you have your hands full with a Dr avoiding hubby having a hospital stay!! What a great way to provide distraction though by promoting!
    I wish him a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie, this takes the cake! Talk about turning lemons into lemonade...wow. I'm sure the RAC shirt actually helped you to stay calm by giving your mind something else to focus on from time to time. My prayers are still with you and David. Keep me posted (privately). Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete