Sunday, August 28, 2011

New Rider


This was taken last Sunday at my nephew's Birthday party. We got caught in the rain but as you can see Linus, Owen and I didn't mind. Owen is my 3 year old son. I think it's so cool that my 3 year old can ride my 2 year old! My husband walked beside Linus and kept a hand on him but stepped back to take this picture. Owen has been more intrigued to this point with his ride-on tractor but last Sunday when he saw Griffin's friend riding Linus he came running over saying he wanted a ride too. He loved every second of it. Linus was spectacular that day!! He gave rides to my 4 year old niece, 8 year old friend, 9 year old nephew and my sister-in-law. There was another young teenager there who wanted to ride him but wouldn't brave the rain because her perfectly straight hair would have gotten frizzy!......
Griffin had wanted a cart ride for his Birthday but once the rain started I told him we would pass since the footing wouldn't be good and I didn't want to put harness on a wet Linus.
Prior to riding him, the two boys (8 and 9) helped groom Linus. I have some cracking pictures from that session but they are on my Mom's camera. It shows Linus practically asleep while the boys groom him.
Monday night it was nicer so we harnessed Linus and I took him for a trip around the yard. Then I took Griffin, then I took Owen and then I took both boys together. They thoroughly enjoyed and so did Linus. He just loves entertaining the kids! Owen has asked every day since for a ride on Linus. He just loves it!
Yesterday, we took the horses for a walk to the near end of our road. Just Dad, Owen and I were at the farm so Owen had to come with us. Dad thought he would walk but he opted to ride Linus again. So, I put the bareback pad on Linus, a helmet on Owen and off we went. Linus was again rock solid. I held his lead rope in one hand and kept a hand on Owen with the other. Linus was great and moved over when needed with me just poking his shoulder. Seems our ground cues are registering with him! Owen was completely relaxed and pointed out butterflies, passing trucks ("Look at that green truck...it's green!") and an airplane. I was super-duper proud of both my boys!
Dad and I wanted to go for a ride today but the weather didn't cooperate. Hopefully next weekend.
We went out to a local pub last night and had a chance to chat with some Australian visitors! They know about Curlies now too!
I also submitted a story and photos to the Canadian Horse Journal magazine. I may do another tonight. Crunch time is on!

5 comments:

  1. Donna, this is wonderful. This is what curly horses should be and what curly riding should be all about. I loved reading your account.
    Penny Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet how Linus loves kids! He is such a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear that everyone had a good time. Linus is such a good boy and one in a million. I think it is so very cool that you can both ride and drive Linus, wish we could do that. I love the picture too of the little guy up there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why can't you Dana?? Your guys are so great I bet you could easily be driving them in no time! Funny how I began driving Linus just because it was something I could do with him at a young age! We started with a rope halter, modified to fit surcingle and a doubled up lunge line for reins! I think if you get the chance you should give it a whirl, I fell in love with driving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow DFonny, that looks so cute! I hope soon my youngest son will be riding Suri too. My eldest (now 5) is too much afraid of horses ( he did not inherit the horse love from me) but my youngest loves all animals and escpecially horses

    ReplyDelete