Friday, August 19, 2011

Hot to Trot!!

A light work day today gave me the perfect opportunity to spend some time with Linus. He had a good grooming and then stood like a statue for me to harness him up. He was again super easy for me to hitch alone. We left Allie tied to the gates and made maybe a dozen trips around the lawn. I think he really like the new, light cart. He seems to enjoy pulling it. When his ears weren't back when listening to me they were always forward. We went in and around some trees which was a lot of fun. He was very responsive and is listening so well to voice commands. I don't have to use a driving whip and rarely need to slap the reins. I mostly use the rein to encourage a tighter turn, otherwise he moves with a cluck and stops with a whoa.
Today, we had our first trot while driving! We didn't do too much of it because he is still a youngster but the cart is so light, it was nothing for him. He trotted out with his head up and his ears forward. I even had to slow him at one point because he wanted to canter when my husband pulled in. Linus was totally showing off and strutting his stuff! But, to his credit I brought him down to a whoa and he stood quietly and patiently while I waited for my husband to come over. Linus being Linus, Stu had to say hello to him first! Then I told him to sit down and I took him for his first ever cart ride! We just did one lap of the front lawn at a walk but it was pretty awesome. Stu didn't want to take the reins though. I was so proud of Linus, we had a really fantastic time and both of us thoroughly enjoyed it! I thought I had taken a good video but it turns out it didn't even record : (


Stu had great timing and took a rare picture of Linus and I together...I'm usually the picture taker! Such a relaxed horse!





Linus enjoys a treat beside one of our "obstacle" trees while I put the cart and harness away. He had no lead on but kept following me around! When I put the tack box back in the trailer where we keep it he stuck his head inside waiting for me to get him a treat! So, of course I did. I have been getting him Barney's horse treats. They are shaped like a small ball but are kind of soft. The horses absolutely love them!
I think Linus definitely passed his test on getting ready to give Griffin a cart ride this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. "a new light cart" - Donna, you can't fool an old fool - that is a racing sulky! Do you plan on going FAST?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said the same about it Susan but the lady I bought it from insisted because its wooden and heavier than a sulky that it was a pleasurecart. Maybe she thought I wouldn't buy it if she called it a sulky!

    ReplyDelete