Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Riding the Boys

Making progress with my colts - I have been working with my 4 year old Traveler son - Khatmoondhu - getting him completely broke. For me, that means, the horse does everything you ask him to in a calm and consistent manner from leading, loading, trailering, and riding in new places. Our new adventure includes trailering to new places and going on trail rides to get him used to all the things out there in the world. And we just walk on the trails - I want him to learn that you can walk quietly and calmly in new places and take in the sights without thinking he needs to go, go, go. So far so good - he is a very attentive horse and I have been encouraging his sense of curiosity. When he sees something that he is "concerned" about, he pricks his ears up and I encourage him to check it out, rather than sidestep, back up, etc.

And this has been working! He noticed a large old pile of hay in one of the fields where we were riding and he pricked up his ears and walked over to it to smell it and check it out. I am so proud of him - he is moving through his tentative stage and into his confident stage. He even wanted to go and check out a barking dog - but I told him we should probably keep our distance on that.

He is turning into a great horse and it's fun to see all the time and energy put into him - really paying off.

Then I have been working Traveler's other son - my 3 year old gelding, Timbuktu. He is much more laid back, like his dad and the second time I had the bit / bridle on him I took him on a little trail ride down the road and into a neighbors field. He was great and I plan on riding him again this morning.

My daughter also takes turns riding the colts - here she is in her colt breaking saddle. Both boys have grown with my little girls and absolutely adore them (it might have something to do with all the treats the girls feed them). Luna, my 5 year old daughter, rode both Timbuktu and Khatmoondhu yesterday - just at a walk and getting them used to another person in the saddle. We are working teaching the colts to turn off leg pressure. By the time Luna is 10 she will be a better rider then I am now - she handles the colts very confidently and it pleases me to no end to see her abilities and confidence grow every day. (However, when she is riding them, I am right next to her - as much as I love and trust my boys - they are horses and she is 5.)



Luna on Khatmoondhu.


Traveler and I have a clinic this weekend to get ready for our next Event at Stanton Farms. I will be proudly displaying our Ride a Curly shirt - for all to see.


Good news confirmed yesterday - the final mare Traveler bred this year is now just pregnant with one foal (she initially conceived twins) and so all mares bred this year are checked in foal and I am looking forward to an exciting foaling year next spring / early summer.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are wholeheartedly enjoying all your boys! Pictures are cute. I expect Traveler will be smoking a cigar in the spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congradulations with all your mares in foal!
    What cute pictures of your doughter riding, that is great that the horses are so sweet for her too!

    ReplyDelete