Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Friday Night Fun





Love Face Book, I had seen an add that was posted in an Equine Monthly that I have on there for a clinic last Friday. So I called and signed up at the last minute. Flew home from work to hook the truck up, changed my clothes (put my Curly shirt on!), and gather all the stuff for the kids to keep them happy. Just as I was putting Marley in the trailer my hubby got home and jumped up in the truck and we headed down the road to where the clinic was. With us living quite a distance from the farm the class had begun but we jumped right in. Most of the work was desensitizing starting on the ground and then doing it again in the saddle. One of the BIG accomplishments for us for this year and this evening was the fact that there was a breeze and I was able to carry a flag on Marley with NO issues!! I love to carry them and he would seem to freak from them before so I always let someone else do it. The one that did give us a bit of an issue though was the mattress. I don't know if any of you have ever walked your horse across it but it is a bit different (infact it is a bit weird walking aross it yourself too) but we did do it and several times each directions. After each of us had worked through all the obstacles we graduated into playing a fun game of horsey soccer. Marley and I had been given the goalie position first and we didn’t do so well with that cause we let one slip by us. OOOPPPS!!! J Then we graduated into being a forward, let me tell you there was no stopping him with that ball, he just loved it. We could use our feet as well to help kick/move the ball around and Marley kept blocking me it seemed from helping him. It was funny and fun to play as well. We played till dark and had to load up and head for home. We met many new friends that night and many I hope we will see again. I now know what I need to get Marley for Christmas (a soccer ball!) Marley never failed me in being a great mount; he showed how smart and versatile a curly can be. There was a woman there that was ridding an Arab and was having some serious issues with him. She came up and asked if I keep his mane in braids and I said no, he is a curly and was very inquisitive about him and the breed. She was a smaller petite type build and asked if they are all that big. I explained that they come in all shapes/colors as well. I think she was looking at getting rid of her Arab and getting a Curly (she was really scared of her horse and had a trainer finish the evening off ridding it). We had many a compliments on how well he behaved and how pretty and cool he looked that night, really made us proud. Oh and by the way the “Ramrod” team won the game, which Marley scored the winning goal! I have posted just a few pictures and wish I could share them all. Again Facebook, a wonderful place to share :) The second to the last picture on here is of us playing goalie with a new friend we had made (a little girl goat). Her and Marley just hit it off right from the start, it was pretty comical. The last picture is of all the fun people that we had met. Marley & Dana (MN)

4 comments:

  1. So much fun Dana!!! I really want to get Linus a big ball too. I am dying to try soccer with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you didn't live so far we could have a curly soccer play date :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me and Ah-D in!! Wouldn't that be fun? I bet Linus and Ah-D would love it. You do the most cool stuff with your Curlies, Dana; it's fun to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete