Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lyle and the Bosal



Dear Reader,

This is a good time to share about the bosal that I have been riding Lyle in. He works well in this piece of tack. It gives a good release and, with proper preliminary ground work, it gives good control. It is a raw hide braid woven around part of a cotton rope side pull. But it has the nose piece and the heel knot of the classic bosal. I had to rig it with a theodore, so that it would be stable on Lyle's head. I was hoping to only need a string tie back to keep the bosal hanger out of Lyle's eyes. But because of the rope cheek pieces, I had to use a theodore to stabilize the bosal. As you can see, I used the "tail" of the theodore as a tie back to keep the bosal hanger away from Lyle's eyes. The macarty is tied in a knot that is similar to the classic California knot. But I have modified it somewhat for my own use. The reins are a continuous loop and there is the third rein so beloved of the old California tradition. (Later, when there is more time I will try to give an explanation of the knots.)

The thing that I like about the bosal is that it literally forces a rider to develop good hands. So it is an excellent discipline for the rider. Lyle is learning to both turn to the bosal and to tuck to the bosal. The bosal is different enough in feel to Lyle so that it gives us a new start after his bad experience with the bit. But when using a bosal the horse must never raise its head because then control is lost. That is why learning to tuck to the bosal is vital.

Thank you,

Penny Johnson

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pictures. This bosal sits lower on the nose than others I have seen. I am glad your instincts were right spot on and Lyle works well with this piece of tack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    I purposely set the bosal lower than usual so that it would not sit close to where Phil had used the halter to savage Lyle's face. I wanted Lyle to have a place that had not been jaded by bad handling as a place to re-start him.
    Thank you for your good wishes. I am hoping for the best for Lyle.
    Sincerely,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny,
    Lyle is in good hands with you. Thanks for sharing his progress.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Angie,
    Thank you. Here I am, legally blind, crippled with my CFS/chronic encephalitis and Lyle is still letting me re-start him. That behavior of Lyle's speaks loudly for the good disposition of the curly horse. You have sen that same good disposition in Mr. O'Sparky and in American Honey (Brave Heart.) Again, thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete