Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Riding again after my holiday break

After a short holdiday break visiting my family abroad I had a lovely ride again with Suri yesterday. We started out with a training session in the field. It was really warm. Suri was great, a bit slow but maybe that was because of the hot weather. It was great to be riding again.

After a break of little over a week Voelie's mane was completely matted. I considered cutting it all off (a shame because it is allready so long that it hangs longer than her neck) but I decided to try brushing it out. I knew I would lose a lot of hair (also with hand grooming) but as I was going to maybe cut it anyway I decided to give it a try. It cost me quite a while and indeed she lost several brushes full of her mane but in the end I managed to brush all of her matted mane. It was a shame I did not have the camera with me she looked so funny with all her hair really big and fluffy now that it was all brushed out! I hope I can maintain it again now, if not I can always cut it at a later point. Voelie is really itching a lot, I am affraid she might have sweet itch which is more and more common over here. Because of this itching she also rubs her neck which gets her mane all matted. I am still trying different things to relieve her itching but not very succesfull yet. Maybe some of you have tips or suggestions on this? Fully bathing her is not an option yet, she is not used to it and I need help to do so.
She did really enjoy her grooming session and stood quietly while I brushed out her mane. She still does not really like the fly spray but I keep practicing with her!

I am wearing my Curly shirts out in public now for the promotion and hope to do more promoting this month. I love the promotion mini challenge because prooting the breed is one of my goals here in the Netherlands!

1 comment:

  1. I bet you will kick butt in the promotional contest! I don't have much advice about the mane and tail...they seem to come and go unless you stay right on top of them, and I always seem to have something more important to do. I am glad you got in another really good ride on Suri!

    ReplyDelete