Thursday, August 4, 2011

National Nite Out


It feels like it has been FOREVER since I have posted, but I have been reading what the rest of the world has been doing out there with their horses! The heat, rain, and bugs have kept us from riding all to much here. I am hoping that we are finally done with the weather part, the bugs we are just going to have to put up with :) But anyway, Tuesday night was National Nite Out night and it is to promote safety awareness in the neighborhood. Marley and I got all dressed up in our fancy duds and headed to the fire hall in one of the local towns as more of a PR thing for the Posse. We had a great time standing around the fire trucks talking to folks about things we do, how old our horses are, what breed they are, etc. We where there for about 3 hours, after about 2, you could see that Marley was really getting bored with the whole standing around thing. He loved the attention when it was given to him. One of my counter parts, Dave, was there with me (we always work in 2 or more) and Marley had to constantly smell him, hang on him, and follow him like a dog. I asked him what he was wearing that Marley was so attracted to. All he could come up with was his Old Spice body wash and deoderant. So the question I have for all of you readers, are horses attracted to that musky smell? It was just so funny to see, cause I bet if Marley could have sat in his lap that night he would have! He was just glued to him. Oh before I forget, have to tell you....all the desensitizing work REALLY paid off that night as well. They where handing out balloons to the kids and well as usual one got away and rolled right between Marley's back legs and he kinda jumped a bit but he didn't kick at it or freak out because of it. I was so very proud of him for that.


Well we are going to be off tonight to work the county fair tonight through Sunday, I swear just cause we are the young ones on the block we always get stuck with the icky shifts (9pm-3am). Oh well, I guess it is one of those things where you have to earn your stripes! There is also a open horse show Saturday am and Sunday as well. I am hoping that we will get enough rest in to maybe do a class or 2 as well :) So watch out...gonna have plenty of stories to tell next week :)

Marley & Dana










2 comments:

  1. Way to go Dana!! Marley is so handsome and such a great promoter of the breed! So funny about the old spice smell!! I know some people say curlies smell musky..I wonder if he smelled like one? LOL. Have a great time this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marley is such a good horse, great job promoting the breed, what a great idea to take the horses. I am impressed that he was so calm with the balloon!

    ReplyDelete