Monday, August 15, 2011

Easy Does It and Some Yee-Haw!



Oh, man, did I ever have a great weekend full of riding! Ah-D-Das and I got out on Saturday and twice on Sunday, and all three times we had company! That, in itself, is totally remarkable for us. On Saturday, we explored the power line and local trails with Kara on Didder’s buddy Al.

There are a lot of steep hills, ledge, dips and bumps, marshy areas and heavy vegetation on the power line, so that is the Easy Does It part. The rider has to keep her eyes inspecting the ground ahead of the mount virtually all the time. Kara and Al negotiated several steep hills, a first for them together as a team. They did great, and I was very proud of them. Kara has learned to ride on Al just this year, so that is darn good to be at “power line level” by mid summer. It is old hat for me and Didder, but it sure was fun to set the example for the other team on my handsome ripple-coated pony.He done me proud, that’s for sure. He has been AWESOME lately, and this weekend was no exception. Now on to the Yee-Haw!

I was flapping my arms like a bird to get him going until I realized halfway up the hill that he WAS going! He sailed right past Al with nary a second glance and kept on a-going. FUN! Note to Harold, notice the western saddle and ignore the helmet.

On Sunday, I rode a nice loop down the road, onto a dirt road, and back around by trail with my son Ian on Al. It was a nice, low-key ride. A pit bull tried to intimidate us...but it didn't work. My Curly ain't scared of dogs, that's for sure. I wasn't back an hour when I got a call from Doris...and I said, "C'mon over!" We took off up the road the other way, viewed the Secret Garden, took a nice trail in the woods, and then looped around Back Street. We had a blast! I needed to make it back in time for Football ( a capitalized important word in my household), so the last part of the ride included a lot of trotting (and gaiting on Ah-D's part with a big smile on my part). I dropped my camera on the tar road and Al lost a boot, but we recovered both and kept on going with great vigor! :) And, I made it to Football on time! :) -Susan and Ah-D-Das in Maine

7 comments:

  1. Wow Susan, you and Didder are sure getting out and about this year!! He sounds like a great partner! I hope Al is ready for me sometime if I show up on your doorstep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, that was awesome!!! I am SOOOO excited for you and AHD and how amazing you are doing!! A true partnership through and through!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like to read about your adventures. Then to top it off all the fun videos you post, they are so neat! From the sounds and looks of it you guys have quite the riding group, you have such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan I thought you was turning into a real Cowgirl, but that hat, I don't know what to say, maybe Denise spoiled you???????????????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harold, you are not following the directions! I said you could notice the saddle but not the helmet! Did you get a ruler smacked across your hand a lot in school? :)
    ~Susan the Wanna-Be Cowgirl~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    Do I see cowgirl budding out in you? I love it{:> Wahoo, from your Curly Cowgirl in Texas.
    P.S. come on down to Texas and we can get you a cowgirl hat that fits like a smooth silk{:> Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie, I would love to vacation in TX and ride with you. I will start saving my pennies. By the way, that saddle I am using? I've owned it since I was 12, so I guess I've had a little cowgirl in me all along. Wahoo right back at ya, Angie! :) Looking forward to that fancy hat.

    ReplyDelete