Sunday, August 14, 2011

What a guy!


Above: Linus on the left and Allie on the right...there is nearly 2 years difference between them...I think he has grown rather well!

Though we haven't been as busy blogging as I would have liked, I have been busy with Linus. We had a brief moonlight ride a couple nights ago. It was just around some trees in the yard where Allie could still see us. She was calling a bit for him but he ignored her. I only had the bareback pad on and we were using the trees as obstacles to practice turning off the leg. Linus is so calm and smart. We have had a fair few short sessions like this just practicing things that we don't get a chance to on the trail.
We've played soccer several times in the pasture. How fun it is to just play with him, no work. He ends the game with picking the ball up in his mouth and smiling! Such character.
I have also been learning to take care of his hooves myself. I'm just taking it easy right now and trimming little and more often rather than a lot every 2 months like the farrier. It actually seems to have made a massive difference for Linus from a comfort point of view. We are soon to have a farrier come in and make sure for us that things are going as well as they appear to be.
I'm now trying to rush this since I am sitting outside typing and there is some pretty good thunder coming through!
Today, I started by hitching Linus to his cart so we could measure and cut down the shafts. We did that and then swapped for the saddle. He was perfect while I readied him and stood stock still while I mounted. Then stood stock still again when I asked him to while we waited for Dad to mount. Allie is still a bit shy with the mounting but is great once you're up.
We went up the road and then continued down a dead end and poked around in some recently cleared fields. Linus love, love, loved it!! We small slopes to go up and down and logs to step over. We turned around though because it made Allie a bit nervous. We found a trail they had made with their giant "tree ripper-outer" excavator and took it for about a mile before turning around. we stopped at the foot of a steep enough hill not wanting to push our young horses too much.
Linus was calm and provided Allie with all the emotional support she needed on our discovery!
I can't even find the right words to say how awesome our ride was today. He was incredible. Now I really hafta get going!!! I'm hoping to drive him this week!

3 comments:

  1. Well I for one have been greatly missing your posts, and I was starting to get worried, thinking you were having bad headaches. This is so great! Linus is awesome, as you have prepared him to be. Hard to believe that he is the emotional rock of the two, considering how young he is. Keep the news coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna the way it sounds you will have many wonderful rides ahead with a good horse like Linus and all the great ground work in preparing him for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Susan and Dana. You are right Susan, this has been an awful summer for headaches with the humidity but I keep trying to fit things in when I'm feeling good. I hope we're back on track!

    ReplyDelete