Friday, August 19, 2011

Promotion and looking for pictures of western curlies!

Yesterday I had a great opportunity to promote the Curly breed. My son had a friend over from school to play with. In the afternoon his mom and sister came to pick him up and I found out that she (the sister) was fond of horses. I told them my son Evan and I were just going to feed the horses and that they were welcome to come over. They really liked that and while the boys were playing in the haystack and the sister was admiring and petting the horses I got the chance to tell all about this lovely breed! I wore my Curly T shirt of course! We had some drinks there and stayed the afternon playing and hanging around. The sister helped me muck out the field and we all had a great time.

Today I had a Voelie day, giving her some extra attention. I did lots of ground work exercises with her and gave her a grooming session. She has to also be pretty next week because we are having a photo shoot done by the magazine on thursday! One of the other Curlies in the Netherlands (owned by a friend of mine) is also coming over so that we can show diversity in colour and size in the pictures. She has a dark brown tobiano colourd Curly mare of about 15 hands. I am very exited about this opportunity. These pictures are going to be used in the Curly article of the horse magazine called CAP (which means riding hat).

I also had another opportunity to place an article about Curlies in the magazine called Paints and Quarters which is a Dutch magazine about western riding. They agreed to place my article on Curlies but also want some pictures of Curlies and western riding, preferably a sliding stop or something spectacular. At this time there are no curlies in the Netherlands that are ridden western. I do have the opportunity to borrow a western saddle and bridle so I can dress up Suri and sneek in a picture of her but I can't fake the actual western riding let alone something like a sliding stop:)
I was wondering if one of the RAC riders has some good pictures of a curly ridden western, we could make it a joint effort to promote the Curlies here in the Netherlands. Of course you can add your name, website and I can translate any specific information about your horse. If you want to share a picture please let me know!

So that's pretty much what I have been up to the last week in terms of Curly promotion here in the Netherlands, People must be getting the message here as Curlies are taking over all the horse magazines :)

5 comments:

  1. There are some pictures of a RACer doing cowboy shooting .... if you are interested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple of pictures on the curlies in action page on Curly Horse Country webpage. Maybe could ask them if you could use them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    As a English trained rider I find my self in my trusted Barrel Racing saddle even on trails. Feel free to use any photo you like of our Curly fiends on our website...www.goldencurlsranch.com
    Keep up the good work.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you everybody. I will sure check out the CHC action page and your website Angie. I don't knwo what Cowboy Shooting is but I am definately interested in pictures!

    I have started the article but still need to do some more writing. The first article (in the other magazine) is allready really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,
    Cowboy Shooting may also be known as Mounted Cowboy Riding. This is where riders compete on horseback while shooting targets. It is very popular here and can be great fun. Sorta goes back to our "old day" Western Cowboy riding like you will find in the John Wayne movies. It takes great riding skills to get you and your horse close to the target while holding and shooting a shotgun or rifle from the saddle.
    Angie
    P.S. I will take lots of photos and post them of our Trail ride tomorrow...we will have lots of real cowboys who make their living from the saddle sorting cattle. Maybe you will find some you like.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete