Sunday, May 15, 2011

Back to basics

Today I was plannning to ride but I had forgotton my key to the storage where my saddle is and did not feel like going back for it. I decided to do some basic groundwork and see how we were with that.
The horses were just having their running time (chasing each other in the field) so it was a good lesson in concentrating on my and on what I was asking.
I first took Suri, we walked over the grounds, then did all the yielding exercises, then checked out all the scary stuff on the grounds and then I took a smal step and placed it next to her and stood on it and leaned on her back. I did this on both sides. I want to start practicing mounting from a mounting block so this was a good start. Suri did fine (even though Voelie and the Shetland were racing around in the field:)
After Suri it was Voelie's turn, I did about the same routine with her, she was great trotting along and walking next to me. I also pit the step next to her and stood on it but I did not lean on Voelie, I just petted her. She was also great and I can tell she is getting a bit older, she has learnt so much allready. At the end I tied Voelie and picked up her feet, she knows this but it's good to remind her sometimes:)
I enjoyed this bit of groundwork with my horses and I think they did too!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Jessica. I love doing groundwork and I hope that I always do it with Linus even as he gets older. Sure is beautiful but I must admit I do love hearing about your training with Voelie
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYYYYY Suri and Voelie!!! I think working with them on the ground is so relaxing!! Even on the days they are full of themselves!!! Keep up the good work Jessica!!!

    ReplyDelete