Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunny day = bath!

Hi everyone! Happy Mother's Day! Now that the April challenge is over, it's time to get back to the regular ground training and preparing Tygs to be rode.

This weekend has been a gorgeous UP weekend. Today's temp was close to 70, if not 70! About a month ago I started wondering why I had wanted a light gray horse, because in the springtime I could tell it was going to be hard to keep him clean. As I stated before, Tygs' previous owner had told me he had never had more than a sponge bath, and the last time I tried a bath with a hose on him it was a challenge as I was holding onto his lead and he would go around and around trying to get away. Today the trailer was hooked up to the truck, so I decided to tie him up to that and just use the hose without the sprayer and then apply soap and use a bucket and cloth to wash him. Then rinse him off with the hose afterwards. My husband wasn't too fond of my idea, and maybe it is dangerous, but to me it was better than Tygs being able to go around me completely. At first he moved back and forth, but within a couple minutes he just stood there and my husband had to laugh at him, because Tygs' look went from "You aren't going to wash me!" to him hanging his head in total submission. He wasn't scared at all, he just didn't want me to do that. So we were successful with the bath and boy was he a dirty boy! One more thing off the training list!

After the bath I took him for a walk, lunged him a little, worked on him staying out of my space, backing up between two poles and side stepping trying to let him dry before I put him back in the pen to roll! And, of course, I take his halter off inside the pen and he lays downs and rolls all over, but my boy is much whiter when I look out the window now. And he feels clean! Sorry, no pictures as my husband decided he would wash one of his horses and she's a challenge too! Have a good week, everybody!

2 comments:

  1. Good job Tygs...roll when you were nice and clean! Don't you just love it when they do that.
    Really good to see he took it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO funny! What a personality Tygs has! He is trying to buffalo you..could for you for calling his bluff! =] I am so glad it was a great experience. Yay!

    ReplyDelete