Sunday, May 22, 2011

Finally Back in the Saddle!

~Susan and Ah-D-Das in Maine~Well, it’s been about three weeks since I’ve had time to ride, so boy did it EVER feel good to be back in the saddle. I started out by letting AhD graze on the lawn while I groomed him, and with all the rain we have had (think MUD), he got quite a good bit of grazing in. We set out on an old familiar trail. At first, after all that time off, he was a bit full of himself, but I paid his ego no mind and he came out of it shortly.
We stream walked to clean those curly fetlocks.

The woods were beautiful with light green leaves.

We followed a stone wall, which took us to a neighbor’s, and we scared his dog. We skirted this field and explored a new trail, which took us to a beaver pond. Cool! It felt so right to be out on Didder, soaking in the beautiful scenery and fresh air.

We rested our eyes on The Secret Garden,

And then took a trail to bring us out on the other end of Back Street. We passed some people working the woods, and I heard the young mother say, “Look, there’s a horse!” so I waved hi, and she motioned to me. I started talking to her through the trees, but she let me know she was deaf, so I brought AhD a lot closer so we could talk. I made a new friend! Turns out she grew up with horses, and I could tell she knew a lot about them. I invited her to ride with me sometime, so next time I am out and about in her area, I will find out how to contact her for a riding date.

Our way home took us past the apple orchards which are blossoming out and giving off a lovely fragrance. What a ride! AhD was such a good boy. Full of forward energy, but listening to me and not being bratty or thinking about what naughty thing was next on the agenda. Could it be that he has matured? He will turn 10 this Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome ride!! We have a few places on our different roads we take where there are kids that love to come out. You can see them watching, so still, but clearly loving every second of it!! It's a treat to meet fellow horsey people isn't it? I sold some things on Kijiji to a girl and when she showed up to buy them we got to chatting and turns out she is a horsey person too. She had never heard of the Curly but was going home to check out the website and blog. Small world eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure sounds like a great ride and I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete