Saturday, May 7, 2011

Testing me...

No pictures again but I am really hoping to get some later today. This post is for yesterday. I moved the smaller round pen and gave the horses more room to graze for a bit. I was walking Linus down the lane to it and he was a complete gentleman...until Allie called for him. You could distinctly see his "Oh my, my buddy is left behind!!!" moment! I circled him and eventually got him to the pen and after some hassle and a bit of name calling, got his lead unclipped. Allie was anxious to get out there with him and when they were together all was well.
I decided reversing the order on the way back after a few hours grazing. I brought Allie up first then went back to Linus. He was so wound up and my son had left his "stay here until I come and get you" safe place so it wasn't worth any risk. I opened the gate and let him run up to their pen. He was not hard to catch. I just walked up to him and grabbed a hold. But boy did he not want to leave the green grass he was munching. With Owen playing safely now in the trailer out of harm's way I again grabbed Linus, then my carrot stick and he worked!! He worked until I was happy that this acting out was out of his system. He had his head below my shoulder and was very in tune to what I may ask for. I do understand that he wants so bad to be out on grass. It's just not yet possible. Despite how much he wants it I'm still going to make sure he respects me even when he wants something else. So, today after work, we are first going to go through some exercises and then see what we get up to after that. I want his full attention first of all.
oh...and its not raining!!!!!
Donna in Lunenburg, Ontario

1 comment:

  1. Awsome Job Donna! If Sassy is the first one out of the stable or the field...she is not nervous at all...but ...should one of her buddies go first....She circles and calls.... I'm never bored...LLOLL :)

    ReplyDelete