Sunday, May 22, 2011

Happy Victoria Day Weekend!

We have a long weekend here in Canada and as such it means it is also what I call Linus's Birthday Weekend. We each got some new head gear for his Birthday. I finally bought a helmet and Linus got a hackamore, which he responded beautifully in!! And yes I tested it from his back!!! Yep, that's right, we had our first official ride on the road today. We only met one car...probably because we weren't out long enough to meet any more but I wanted the first ride to be short and sweet. There was no tension, no refusals, just a calm and willing youngster under me who was happy to be on an outing. It was priceless. He got big hugs and an apple afterwards! And of course lots of neck rubs while we were out. Speaking of neck, I was able to control him with one hand neck-reining too! He responded great to my cues and showed no signs of discomfort from any of his equipment which was awesome. My Dad and Allie were walking beside us (not mounted) so I had a helper there if I needed it. Not needed at all though!
So, now I will give him a break from riding for at least a few weeks and see how it goes. He wasn't favouring it but we noticed one of his hooves was left uneven and needs to be trimmed so we'll concentrate on that for now. Oh and he handled the car we did meet without even looking at it. He moved off the road when I asked and kept walking along.

Getting tacked up and ready to go. I'm really taking to green things for him. Look great with his colour!



AHA! MY turn for a "mounted, between the ears" picture!! I've been waiting SOO long to do this! I kept the camera clipped to my saddle in case I had this opportunity!



What a memorable day! I shall have to borrow the American "Memorial Day Weekend" for this occasion! Hey, I'm even wearing a Curly shirt!
Friday, we had a neck reining session that went well and I was very nearly going to bath Linus but it was the first non-raining day we've had in so long that I didn't have the heart to get him all wet!! He was probably enjoying being dry so we will put that off. Maybe tomorrow.
Donna & Linus *now officially a riding horse*
Lunenburg, On Canada

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't believe it, what an accomplishment. Super news, and I get a good view of the ears and mane of a handsome chestnut. Love the mounted picture. I wore my RAC shirt today, too. Linus looks totally ho-hum about you riding him. PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Donna! That is awesome! It went off without a hitch, just as I suspected it would! That's great! Wondeful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAHHHH!!!! I am so excited for you, doesn't that feel just awesome to feel that young blood underneath you relying on you to guide them? I love that feeling of the first ride. You have laid wonderful ground work with Linus and I knew that it was going to be a great ride when you got up on him. And by the way I agree with you he does look good in the green :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Donna, that went really well! You look so great together and I am sure you are so proud of Linus!
    The start of many happy rides together!

    ReplyDelete