Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Days

Have brought sunshine!! Finally!! A whole nice weekend. And we were lucky enough to get the horses out on both days! Linus did really well tied today. Well at first anyway. I wanted to dress his hooves when we got back and he wasn't too keen on it but then I discovered he had picked up a stone and it was really in there so once we got that out he was fine. Once his hooves get trimmed this week I'm sure he will be even better.
We went for a walk today in a direction we hadn't been in a long time and Linus was so laid back. I think he was just taking in the sun and enjoying the spring weather. Finally Tshirt weather!
I got a bit not quite bored, but wanted to do more than just walk so I started swinging my rope around. I swung it in big circles in front of him, beside him and over his head like I was going to rope a calf. He was not at all bothered. So I threw the rope out in front of him and coiled it back up again. I did this several times and kept changing up the way I was swinging it. With not living with the cows maybe he will get to do some cutting and roping....though maybe not with our cows; they are pretty quiet and probably wouldn't provide any chase!
We aren't currently using our other set of gates so we set up a second, smaller pen that we've been moving around to slowly get the horses some grass. It's not taking them much time to chew it off but they sure do appreciate it. We've had so much rain that I think it will be a good few weeks before any pasture is ready.
I'm hoping to continue our neck reining training this week. Linus is picking it up really fast which I find impressive considering he has been driving too so has to learn to separate the cues. He's a star! .....and STILL not yet a big brother!

1 comment:

  1. We have a curly here at On A Sting Ranch in Laramie, Wyoming. Her name is Angel's Grace and I'd love to send you a picture of her if you are interested.
    Cheers Ronda Eden

    ReplyDelete