Friday, May 20, 2011

Search and Rescue?

Monday Abby and I went on a nice long trail ride. She lead most of the way because I was riding with a non-gaited horse. We decided it would be fun to hunt for Morels so we were going off trail a bit and Abby just took it all in. We didn't find any of course cause it's kind of hard on top of a horse but I'd liked having a mission.

We rode over to the other boarding stable and she was bit shy of things but it was understandable since she has only been there once. We made it through and continued on our way. There was a nice long straight stretch next to a field so we cantered some. I was asking Abby to go a bit faster cause I wanted to see what she could do and she just wouldn't canter any faster. Well I decided to "kiss" and see how she responded...she flipped gears and went! It wasn't the fastest horse I've been on but defiantely her fastest and oh so smooth. This experience comes into play later on in the story.

So we get up the big hill and cross back over into the land where I board which involved going back down the hill. I decided to get off and walk her down since she has stifle issues (which are getting better as she gets stronger). I ask her to whoa and she did, then I gather my reins before I jumped off like always only my rein wouldn't get "tight". Turns out the screw on my right rein fell out and my rein had been hanging down for who knows how long. Such a good girl!

We walked down the hill and I got back on so we could continue up to BlackHawk. This is where the fun begins. I decided to go down a trail I wasn't to familiar with but I wanted to find this spot that over looks the valley. Allot of the horse trails had new No riding signs so I figured it must be blocked off. I'm a rule follower generally and won't ride on land that is posted. I was getting bored with the trail so I gave in and decided to go down one that I was familiar with but posted. We got about 15 yards in and bird flew up which startled Abby. She spun around but then stood still...the other horse though spun and tried to run. His passenger came off and boom he was gone! Abby and I took to the chase but he was out of sight! It was kind of fun playing search and rescue full out running down the trails looking for him. Abby was very calm and controlled with the whole thing. She did get upset once cause I would not let her keep going down one trail. She tried to buck a little but I corrected her and she was fine there out.
We ended up seeing some of his tracks and followed them down a different trail. He was eating grass in an open spot looking all smug. No harm to human or horse was done so she mounted up and we continued on home.

Abby got a much deserved break the rest of this week (mostly cause I didn't have time)

Theo and I did some jumping this week and last night we went on a short trail ride with Natalie and Amigo. For those that remember Amigo was kind of naughty the last time we rode out together. He was perfect last night! Theo was a little more high strung but he's had some time off do to needing his feet trimmed. We switched farriers and it added extra two weeks on to thier feet but now we will be back ona 6 wk schedule!

Hope everybody has a horsey filled weekend!

Blaine, Theo and Abby
WI, USA

3 comments:

  1. Exciting adventure! Glad the person who got dumped was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also glad to hear nobody was injured. Bet you had a bit of a thrill though getting to chase down the other horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear everyone was ok, that can get a bit scary. But all in all it sounded like you had a fun time, with the excitement being added to the ride :)

    ReplyDelete