Thursday, May 19, 2011

No lead rope!

Well, Tygs and I did it tonight! We rode with no help! First, I wanted to show you that Tygs and I have the Parelli technique down of bridling from the ground. Haha! This is not to my credit. Tygs was taught whenever someone is putting a halter on to lower his head by his previous owner. I thought that was neat until I started bridling him. He thinks he should do that then too, so I'm literally on the ground bridling him. It is nice, but it's not what I'm used to with my other horses.
I was a little nervous about all of this, but my hubby led him around one time and then I told him okay. Tygs wanted to go down the road like last night real bad! It was so funny. I don't know what's down there, but he wants to go down the road. I just stayed in the driveway or front yard and we worked on turning and walking. We need lots of practice in that area before we go on the road.
I'm very pleased with his whoa and after just showing him one time tonight to immediately take a step back after whoaing, he did it every time when given the signal. My husband was really impressed with that. I am so excited! And I think Tygs is too! He was very calm, but his attention span is short, so we only did this for about 20 minutes and then he started pawing the ground, so I decided maybe that was enough for one night.
We've got all summer to work out the kinks and keep learning. I'm not sure what to do when he starts pawing. Telling him no when we're on the ground and he's pawing is starting to work, but I don't know that he can differentiate my dislike of the pawing from maybe something he's doing while learning the cues to ride. What is everyone's opinion on that? Should I teach him right away not to paw, or let him learn the cues and then work on that? A very happy Janeen and Tygs in the UP!

5 comments:

  1. Many of the horse trainers recommend keeping the horse busy if they start pawing. Maybe yielding or bending exercises? Then give them a break, start pawing, go back to work..........this has worked for other bad behaviors here.
    Dian
    Twisted Ponies, Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe he was telling me to keep working? I thought of that too, that he didn't want to stand still, or he was frustrated at trying to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohoo you go girl!! You and Tygs are doing great!
    he is pawing like come on lets go and do some more :-)
    But I agree with Dian, make him work if he does it, he is either impatiens or does not understand what you are asking. Make him do something you both know (back up or bending or something)
    Spirit did it to when he was younger and learning new stuff...like he was saying WHAT???

    good luck! and keep up to good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great Janeen! Great progress again! I agree with the others on the pawing, try to keep him occupied so that he does not have time to start pawing but dont work him too long indeed if he is not yet ready for that.
    You look great on Tygs! Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you to be enjoying rides on Tygs. You guys are an awesome team! Linus does the same thing. If we stop working, he gets impatient. It's like he is saying, Ok you brought me out so you better do something with me! So, I either reinforce my Whoa - Stand command and if that doesn't work we do circles until he is ready. From the ground, he turns to face me when he is ready to focus.

    ReplyDelete