Saturday, May 28, 2011

Driving again...finally

Tonight I am playing catch up. Poor internet connection has prevented me from my posts for the last 3 days. After about 30 minutes I managed to comment on a few but when it came time to do my post the internet gave up! Figures. Then my phone overheated with the photos I was waiting to load so you will have to wait for them as well! If my memory card didn't fry along with the phone!
Thursday night we took the horses out for a nice walk. Linus is doing so well with his manners. Both horses went at a pretty good clip on the way there but on the way back they were draggin! I have the cutest picture of Linus and Essa. Essa is our 12 year old Newfoundland dog. She's the sweetest dog you could ever want to meet. Well, on the way back Linus kept stopping to wait for Essa and then Essa kept waiting for Linus. It was the funniest thing to watch that one wouldn't continue without the other. I don't know how they have come to be so attached but they are. The only worrying thing about that is that for a Newfie, Essa is considered ancient! But, she is still in very good health and is a very active dog.
Yesterday, it was pouring rain so we weren't able to do a whole lot with the horses. However, we have become very accustomed to working them in the rain since it doesn't ever seem to stop. And it was only 12C here yesterday too so we haven't even had much heat!
Today was disgustingly humid (are we ever happy with the weather?) but we did manage to get the horses out when it wasn't too bad. I haven't ridden Linus again because I want to be very careful not to overdo it with him. So, instead, we did some ground driving today. I haven't had the harness on him since the snow was flying and it was also the first time he was on the road with Allie while being driven. To say I was pleased is an understatement. He was incredible. He was light and very responsive. I thought I would be battling to stay off the roadsides where the grass is long but he was great. I carried a driving whip with me and just had to show it to him or tap the road to get a response from him. We didn't meet much traffic but we did meet a large transport first going by with an excavator on board then going by again empty. Then a ratty old van went by with a rattier, old trailer behind it and all that noise didn't cause a problem. We stopped at the first neighbour, he was outside and chatted with Dad a bit. Linus stopped too close to Allie but he backed beautifully when asked and then listened really well to Whoa, Stand.
We continued down the road. We passed a home under construction from a fire and there were loads of vehicles, trailers and tarps but again that was a non-issue. Then my co-worker and her husband were out about halfway up the road. They hadn't met Linus up close and were super impressed. Not only with his unflappable attitude on new surroundings but they also couldn't believe how big he was. Ray is a relief milker and does whatever needs doing on whoever has a farm that needs work of whatever kind. So I guess you could say an agricultural jack of all trades. He is going to keep an eye out for a driving cart for me. He said all I needed was some bike tires and to make a frame and seat so I told him that was awful neighbourly of him to offer to make me a cart!! : ) However, since he has his front deck down to the supports I don't think that will be happening!!
Bath time still hasn't happened but he has settled back into the spray bottle really well. Right now we are using Skin So Soft for bug control. Works but not overly long-lasting. I think I might try the lavender oil suggestion....as long as it doesn't put me to sleep!
After our work today, we put the horses in a field the cows had been in but they (we aren't sure who but Linus seems to have taken the blame...probably correct) ran through the single strand fence. It made Dad comment on single strand electric being able to keep 40 cows in but not 2 horses! In their defense though they were surround by canary grass just out of reach. So, we moved the corral and we will put them in some long grass tomorrow. When we finished moving the gates I noticed Linus watching us so I yelled "What, do you think all of that work was for you"?, he swayed his head and then nickered and walked towards the gate as if he was saying yes it is, so let's go. It was priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment