Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Riding Suri and treating Voelie

Yesterday I had another great riding session with Suri. She is very responsive and learns so quickly. We rode in the field and worked on our dressage basis. Because I had not been riding for about 3 yeard (only the occasional ride on other people's horse) I was a bit insecure but now with riding Suri that is completely gone! We are realy enjoying our riding.

Today I discovered strange wounds on all 4 legs of Voelie. One leg was also swollen. It looks like barbed wire wounds but they are on all four sides and all legs but not very deep and also high on her leg. It is very strange because there is no such thing in the field where she is. I really cannot find anything that could of caused it (of course I extra checked the whole field) and unfortunately nobody saw anything. Luckily she is not lame and when I was there all the wounds were dry (closed) so no need for immediate vet (at least that is what I think is wise now) but I hope the swelling goes down quickly and everything heals well. I put some wound salve on all the places and some places are sore for her (she reacts to touch) so I hope all will be fine. Always someting to worry about with horses!

6 comments:

  1. O Jessica!!! Hope Voelie heals quickly!!! Dont you wish they could just tell us what happened/how they got hurt!!! KEEP up the awsome work on Suri!!! Hugs from Sassy and me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have long wet grass ?? or anything like harsh thistle -- lots of long wet grass could cause a kind of scratches or skin fungus which could cause swelling. thistles or other sharp bladed reedy grasses can cause small cuts (like paper cuts) and result in swelling. Just a few thoughts !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so odd about Voelie's legs! When you find out what caused it, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everybody and thank you for thinking along. Our grass is really short (not much grass, they are fed haylage)it is also dry and no thistles (Dutch fields are quite well manicured)
    I am quite worried about it and can't wait to get back over there to see how she is doing today. The strange thing is that the wounds are high (up on her back leg close to her belly 3 parallel cuts, ans also very low just above her hooves that look more like puncture marks and scratches. My husband (he did not see her, I told him about it) thought it sounded like a dog had bitten and scratched her but that aslo seems strange to be on all legs and the other horses having nothing.. There are also no stray dogs here, just the privately owned dogs that are allways there. So to me it is still a mystery that kept me bussy part of the night thinking about it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a mystery Jessica-- I am anxious like you are to find out what it is !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jessica, hope Voelie will recover soon.
    Could it be some insects also making her scratch herself so it becomes worse at first.
    Berit Lidar in Sweden

    ReplyDelete