Friday, May 6, 2011

Getting things done

So I had this post written and then Poof it was gone. My computer decided to close out of all my programs. Oh well I guess.

Last weekend Theo and I had another lesson with Stephanie from Timeless Farms. We practiced riding a course because I will be attending my first show tomorrow...maybe. My stomach turns in knots just typing this but I need to get over it and go. It's a small schooling show which should be the perfect way to get introduced to this whole new world.
Why am I so afraid? 1. My biggest fear is I'll forget the jump sequence. I have a terrible short term memory. 2. Theo did not like being by himself at the fair and at one of our lessons he was crazy when he couldn't see Amigo. We will be on our own tomorrow so hopefully getting off the trailer alone and not with Amigo he will be attached to me instead. However, I wanted to prepare so this week I have done allot of respect excerises with him to help increase our bond. Wednesday night I worked him away from the barn and his buddies. We then walked down the trail until he could barely see the other horses. He did pretty good but there were a few times that he wasn't paying attention to me and looking back to the barn so I made him work each time. Once I had his full attention I let him eat some grass and just chill. On the way back he saw someone riding and started to put is head up like he was going to call or start walking faster so we did some work to get his mind off it. I think it helped tons because he walked home with his head level and relaxed.
So that being said I think I have the tools to help Theo stay calm and focused now I just have to figure out how I can remember those darn courses!

On to Abby. She was a superstar Sunday when I had a friend from work come out with her 3 kids and her sister's 2 kids. Abby had 4 kids brushing on her at the same time. Her eyes were half open and you could tell she was really enjoying it. Then we saddled her up and I got on her for a few minutes just to make sure she was in the right frame of mind and of course she was. So the kids took turns getting on and I lead them around. Two of the other boarders offered thier horses up for rides too which helped speed up the process. I let one of the older kids ride her by himself and boy was he a natural. He got her to gait really nice and even cantered on her!
By the end she was giving me this look like "Seriously, how many more times are we going to do this" So I decided that was a good ending point. I got on her and rode her around to refresh her memory of proper riding and we called it a day.



The adults rode as well but Abby would not gait for them...just walk :-) I think she was tired.

And finally a clip from the Midwest Horse Fair. My husband video taped and I forgot to tell him I wanted all the Curlies video taped not just me! There is a smalll portion of other Curlies on the video though.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE!!! the video. Abby was cool as a cucumber, and you looked great! What a super job! I loved her gaiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me to!! that was an AWESOME video, great curly horse promotion and wauw with such a crowd and he did great. You'll be fine at your show!! just make sure you have fun, that's the most important. But I totaly understand you're being nervous, I always look green and feel like i need to trow up LOL

    ReplyDelete