Sunday, June 5, 2011

Checking In... In New Hampshire







Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I last posted. It's been pretty crazy spring. School has been busy - and my (one and only) daughter is finishing up her last year in high school. I've been attending a lot of my "last.... this and thats" (sporting events, award dinners, etc.). It's kinda depressing...

Oh boy.... Here comes my mid-life crisis!


I've been out riding between raindrops... and doing lots of ground work with Lakota. It's taken several different attempts at finding the right time, place, and situation - but I can now confidently say Lakota has been weaned. (Phewww.... it was more complicated than I ever expected to be.) Lakota is happily living up the road with his new buddy Jericho, my friend Kathy's horse.

Lakota and I have been working together and learning a lot. Kathy's husband has done quite a bit of ground training - and has been helping me to work with Lakota. Lakota has been learning to: respect personal space, giving to pressure, standing still when tied, and bathing with the hose. We've been doing a lot of cool exercises in the round pen. Lakota is a quick learner - and has proven to be much smarter than me.


Kathy and I took a nice long ride today, about 3 1/2 hours or so. Here are some pictures from today's excursion. The trails are still muddy and the streams
are running quite full. We saw all kinds of cool wildlife: turkey, beaver, deer, a mama partridge and her babies, and a blue heron.

We travelled several miles - around the Lilly Pond, up the mountain, and to a few of a favorite views.
Last year, around this time, we got to see the most amazing event at the Lilly Pond. (We were hoping to recapture it on camera this time.) Last year, we witnessed about 20 or more
mama herons teaching their babies to fly. It was truly
spectacular!

Unfortunately, we weren't so lucky today.... but we still managed to see one mama heron on her nest.

It was an absolute perfect day for riding. Although the sun wasn't shining, the temperature was just right, and the wind was blowing just enough to keep the bugs at bay.

Until the next time... Happy Trails!!!







3 comments:

  1. Awesome Deb -- I am jealous of the heron roookery !! only time I ever came across one was by canoe. Glad things are coming along with Lakota

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I just love your pictures! Such beautiful scenery, and the story about the herons is great. I really like the photo of the heron on the nest and the one where you have the incredible scene behind you. You have great riding country. I'm waiting for you to invite me down for a ride with you and Kathy.... :) Do either of you have a trailer? Google Hebron, ME 04238...I think we are about 3 1/2 hours away. Love to have you both come ride with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I would love to do that - I have a trailer - or - if you want to come down here - that would be fine too. I am just finishing up with school - phewwww - Let's try for a time in July....

    ReplyDelete