Monday, June 20, 2011

A Range of Weather






The weather started out nice and hot for our Saturday ride. I took several small video's during our trek, but they are refusing to download. Luckily I took a few pictures as well. As usual, we did some stream walking. I bet the cool water felt really good on Ah-D's hooves. After the stream walking stint, we climbed the powerline for a while. I usually don't do the powerline during super hot weather, but some clouds were starting to roll in and a nice breeze came up. I admired the wildflowers along the way. So beautiful! I will have to get some pictures for you all.


I think you can tell what is happening now by the darkness of this picture. Right about here, we hightailed it into the woods lining the powerline. It started sprinking, but we were dry under the heavy tree cover. We meandered around and explored, taking our time. By the time we found this new trail down by Back Street, I could hear thunder big time.It got so dark, this is the last picture I was able to take. The heavens opened up, the lightening flashed and the thunder rolled. We just continued on continuing on. :) We paid no nevermind to the storm, but by the time we were only about 10 minutes from home, oh my Lord, it was crazy-raining. The very last portion of our ride on the road turned into a Susan-and-Didder-jogging-beside-each-other-fest because I was afraid if a car passed us 1) they would not be able to see us for the sheets of rain and 2) the noise of the water might spook my horsie. There were rivers of water flowing down the road. What an experience! Once in the barn, I hung the tack to dry and slicked off Ah-D. The only dry portion on him was a small place under the saddle. There were no dry parts on me. I even had to wring out my underthings! You may be thinking, "how awful," but it really wasn't bad at all! A good journey!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, Susan, what an experience! I'm so glad AhD did well with it! Good thoughts about getting back with a thunderstorm. I have no idea how my horses would react, but I would be nervous! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you and AhD did wonderfully. These are the things that good memories are made of.
    Penny Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  3. More of those cute ear pictures! I love them!
    Great how you handled the situation and that it was a good experience!

    ReplyDelete