Sunday, June 12, 2011

Father ~ Daughter Ride!!

My internet connection is very poor. So, first off. Caren...stop abusing your horses!!! They look far too relaxed, lol. Loved those pics! Susan, your ride looked awesome. I am starting to prefer bareback pads to saddles! Didder is so handsome. Lyle is doing fantastic! You'll be enjoying him on the trails in no time!
We haven't been too busy with the horses over the last few days since we have been busy preparing for my son's 3rd birthday party which went off today without a hitch. Then, I finally got to steal away and play catch up with Linus. He eagerly met me at the gate. I love that he always does this. We went over for some grooming and I tried out the new saddle pad I made him. The other one slipped too much at the front of the Aussie saddle. This one worked better today, of course he had to pull it off and stomp on it when my back was turned...just like the other one the first time I put it on him! What a character.
We had to wait a bit for Dad to mount Allie. It was his 3rd time on her and she is still a bit unsure about the mounting stage but once he is up she settles right in. I kind of felt a bit bad because Linus stands still for me to mount. But, I shouldn't feel that way. He had a great upbringing right from day 1 and I really think training him to drive first helped a lot. He learned and respects when he is told whoa.
Before we left for our ride a friend of mine was riding by and came up the lane to see us for a bit. This was before Dad had mounted so I met her half way so that Allie didn't get wound up. It was a first for Linus and he did great. She was on a big, black gelding. I had dismounted to be safe, not knowing how either horse would react. She is happy to know she has future riding buddies so close by. But I did tell her Linus is young and we aren't going far or often just yet.
Then Dad and I went up the road. It was our first mounted outing together. The horses were beyond great. Well behaved and responsive. We only walked, both are young and green and that nice, easy pace suits me just fine for about the next year!!
Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, ON Canada

4 comments:

  1. Donna!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you and Linus! You are off to such a fantastic start. Congratulations! Standing still for mounting, "well behaved and responsive" - WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, what a wonderful manner to spend that day! I wish my parents would have done horseback riding in order to share that with them :)

    About standing still while mounting: I like that very much and I practice that especially with the young ones, and it really gets better over time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great day for you -- monster chocolate cake (which I saw on facebook) and a ride with your Dad !! awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds great Donna, to share a ride with your father! Sounds like both horses are doing very well!

    ReplyDelete