Monday, June 20, 2011

Hot Days in Oklahoma

It has been a while since I have been in touch. I am really enjoying my time off from school and spending time with the horses. It has been extremely hot here in Oklahoma, so we have to ride very early or at night.



Cody and I have been taking horses to local roping practices on Tuesday and Thursday nights (still hot!) to get them used to being around crowds, cows, and really fast horses.



Cody has been roping on Warrior's Cleopatra, All the Way May, and our stallion, Warrior Seek Justice. Justice is doing very well around the action (and mares) and seems to enjoy the chase. Although we are not going to make a living roping, it is good exposure for our horses while we are taking a break from the trails due to the heat.



All horses have pushed the cattle down the chute and opened gates and are doing very well. Of course, my horse, Hoosier Daddy, is still a little distracted by the pumper jack in the field. I plan to take him out there to see it up close next week. Pray for me:)



I will be working the Edmond Roundup Club Rodeo Saturday and Sunday this weekend and will take Little Miss Sunshine to get her use to the commotion. She is proving to be very calm and steady and I am very proud of her and my trainer! I love to see the kids riding around without a care in the world. Wish I had that courage I had when I was 12!



Sweet Curly Horse Story: My hay guy came out today with his new neighbor, an 8 year old boy, who just moved here from Oregon and doesn't have any friends yet. Hay guy, Larry, told me that since the kid wasn't used to horses, he wanted to come to my place first because the horses are so sweet and polite! Yeaaaaa - 8 year old was scared at first, then loved being loved on by the curlies and donkeys. What a great testimony to our curly horses' temperaments.



Hugs to all and stay out of the dirty hay!



Adena and Cody

Landrun Curlies



2 comments:

  1. It's good you're finding something to do with the horses even though it's so hot! Sounds like a good time for all! Have fun this weekend working the rodeo! So glad your hay guy brought the boy to the Curlies first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! What kind of hot temps are we talking about? Sometimes it hits the 90's in Maine but not very often. Good luck with the field pump!!! :)

    ReplyDelete