Sunday, June 5, 2011

Re-Training Lyle

Good Day Curly Friends,

As some of you may remember, my gelding Lyle was badly damaged by a trainer whom I had paid to break him. I did not know this until Lyle had been home with me for about 4 days. Then I found out very quickly what the "trainer" had done to him. I rode Lyle from Sept. until Oct when winter hit with full force here. He made a little progress. But he would still grab the bit and run off. Believe me, he and I had some "interesting and exciting" rides. After Oct it was to cold for me to ride so I stopped. During April the weather started to relent in "these far northern climes." I started to work with Lyle on the ground using Mr. Allen Pogue's Imagine a Horse ground work methods. The first step was to teach Lyle a sense of how to be still and how to listen.

Today, June 5, for the first time Lyle was ready for me to mount him. He stood still for the first time for mounting. I got on him bare back from a hay bale. He "parallel parked" quietly along side of the hay bale. I asked him to NOT eat and he stood quietly, not eating and just waiting for my next request. I then slipped on to his back and worked my way into the "rider's groove" so that I had a little security. As I got on, Lyle hyperventilated a little, but he remained still. This trouble breathing told me that he was nervous. I remained sitting on his back until his breathing quieted down. One it returned to normal, I slid off from his back on the far side. I wanted him to get used to being mounted and dismounted from the wrong side as well as from the near side.

All told, I am thankful for how well Lyle did. We are taking "baby steps" and that is a good thing. Once his breathing remains calm when I get on we will proceed.

I want to mention that I am preparing Lyle to be saddled when he is NOT tied. I want him to accept the saddle freely. Before he had to be tied to be saddled. This is an important thing to change. I want him to accept the saddle with out being tied and to accept the saddle in any part of my barn yard.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

No comments:

Post a Comment