Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sooooo excited!

To many of you this will be a little thing, but I'm very excited about it and wanted to share! I haven't had alot of time to work with Tygs because of work, so every time I did, my husband was around and because of the length of time in between sessions my husband led him around while I was in the saddle. I realized the last time that because Tygs had been led around for the last 9 years that he wasn't really learning anything, because he was just following my husband's lead, so I knew we had to start working off lead, per se. Today our weather was absolutely beautiful and there were no bugs, but my husband wasn't able to help me before he went to work, but he gave me his blessing of working with Tygs without him here. My husband is the biggest worrier this side of the Mississippi, so for him to say that I really knew he meant the words "Tygs isn't going to do anything." So this evening I saddled him up.

We haven't worked on me mounting without him being held, so I was ready just to work on that and call it a night, but he stood beside the steps after just two tries and stood perfectly still while I got on! I was impressed! For the next 20 minutes he tried very hard to learn the left, right, flexing while I was in the saddle and walk. I feel confident he learned left, right, and flexing, but the walk I still don't think he understands what I want. His whoa is very good and so is his back and evidently I'm not cuing right, because alot of times when I wanted walk, he went backwards. After about 20 minutes he just stood still and watched the world go around with me on his back trying to get him to walk on. I'm not sure if he was bored or just tired, but after one final step forward I called it a night. He didn't seem confused to me, nor stubborn, just wasn't going to walk any more. If any of this sounds familiar and you have suggestions for me, I'm more than willing to listen! I'm really pumped with what we accomplished tonight and he never got frustrated or acted out. And he didn't paw while I was in the saddle! He did paw a couple times when I was on the ground, but I corrected him. Dismounting he again stood perfectly still.

Afterwards I decided to walk one of the dogs down the road and as we went past the gate to the horses, Tygs came walking over whinnying at me as if to say "That's what I wanted to do and you wouldn't let me! I can do that, Mom!" I really feel he's standing taller tonight because he did it himself!

Sorry no pictures since I was alone tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous !! glad you did this and were successful !! looks like you are good to go now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janeen! This is great news! Regarding your question, it isn't unusual to have a horse be a little sticky learning the 'go forward' cue. Because you are basically using the reins to support your cues for back, flex, turns that comes easy for him. But to move forward it is just "leg" and he probably doesn't quite get it. The fact that you got one step was good. Just build on that. Make sure you aren't applying any pressure at all on the reins when you ask for the forward. You could even use a cue word, like "walk on" as you leg him forward. Once you get the forward just let him move without trying to direct left or right...just get the feel for moving to start. I bet eventually your dogs would be nice company for him as you rode. Especially if they go up ahead. =] ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janeen that is great, Such an accomplishemnet when you can just saddle and get on your horse by yourself! Good uck with the walking, I am sure it will be fine because he learns so quickly!

    ReplyDelete