Monday, June 27, 2011

Luce Line Ride



Just to be sure I got my riding fix in for the weekend I loaded Marley and Larry back up in the trailer yesterday and asked my husband to drop me off on a gravel road that hooks up to a state trail just a few miles from our house. He wasn't feeling well so I was on my own with 2 horses. The Luce Line Trail is an old rail road line so it only is one very very long trail. The sad part with this trail is they are talking about paving it and not allowing horses on it anymore. The 2 horses and I got dropped off like I had requested and headed on down the trail. I told him I would call him as soon as I knew the horses and I had had enough. I took turns riding one and then the other. Each got about an hour and a half of ride time by the time we got picked back up. We stopped a time or 2 for a quick break and a change of mount. Larry is our trail horse, he likes to explore different trails, trail blaze, and as soon as he sees we are heading out on a trail, there is no stopping him. He sets a steady pace and stays at that pace as long as we are out on the trail. He is just a blast to trail ride. We rode behind a small town and if you look really close in the picture you can see a swin set in that big puddle of water. I had to get that in the picture. Those poor kids can't play in their yard! Marley about half way through our ride I felt like we where dragging him along rather than leading him. I think he was tired from the day before with all the deep sand at the dunes. It was a nice quiet relaxing outing for all of us. There where several bridges to cross and I had no issues getting Marley to cross them , but the first bridge that I had to ride Larry across I had jumped on Marley (not touching the ground, loose saddle, and halter w/lead only) and lead Larry across. Then I got back on Larry and the next 3 he crosses without hesitation. I think he needed to see how to do it one more time :) While out on the trail we had seen these 2 shelters, never knew they where there and though it was kinda neat that they have a spot you can take a break off the trail.
















Till next time,


Marley, Larry, & Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment