Monday, June 6, 2011

Lyle and I

Dear Curly Friends,

Lyle and I continue to work together. Yesterday I just rode him in the halter and bareback. We "rode" in a small area where I had led him many, many times before in the same pattern that I intended to ride him in when I finally got on board. Today we took another little "baby step." I rode Lyle bareback again, but I used my Mexican soft bozal. This is a nice, woven rawhide piece of tack, similar to a California bozal, only it is soft rawhide and not hard like a traditional bozal. This Mexican bozal was at one time used by Mexican peasants who would start their own horses. And it is one of the best pieces of tack that I have ever found.

Lyle did very well in it. He yielded very well to the soft rawhide "ring" of the type of bozal and he was very happy to give when I asked for a turn. We just went around old and rotten hay bales that I had arranged in my big hay shed. But he was interested in the "reining" work that we did. He really enjoyed turning and giving to the gentle pressure of the soft bozal.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

2 comments:

  1. Penny, this is great news! Sounds like Lyle enjoys his interaction with you and likes to have a job. I'd love to see a picture of your Mexican bosal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, Tomorrow when I work Lyle I will take a picture of this Mexican bozal. I have modified it a little in how it sits on his face and how it is mounted to the headstall of the bridle. You will see how I have rigged it. I also made it so that it has NO noose action. It originally had a noose like action that was not good. But I really love this piece of tack the way it is now. I wish that I could find another rawhide one like it because I have had it for many years and it is getting a little worn.
    Thank you.
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete