Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lyle's "Safe Place"



Dear Reader,

More about Lyle's "safe place" that he is learning to carry with him in his heart and mind: In the second picture you will see that Lyle is resisting my cue to turn. He has taken hold of the bit and is turning in the opposite direction that I am asking for. This vice he learned at the bad trainer.

I knew that Lyle would resist my cue to turn so I asked for the turn close to his other "safe place." The low platform that you see to the side is his second "safe place." As I wrote, I knew he would take the bit and resist, so I made this cue close to his platform safe place. When he resisted, I also knew that he would go to his platform safe place because it is very close and he is actually unsure and a little afraid. So when he resisted, I simply let him go to his platform safe place. You can see Lyle standing on his platform safe place in the first picture.

Once he was on his safe place, I simply asked him to walk away from and off of the platform. Once he was off, I cued again for the turn. He gave it to me freely and there was no fight and no resistance. His safe place had given him to chance to re-consider his behavior and then to respond in a good way.

Sincerely,

Penny

P.S. Soon Lyle and I will be ready to venture out of my big hay barn and into the big world.

No comments:

Post a Comment