Sunday, October 2, 2011

Change for Lyle

Dear Reader,

In the beginning I used Allen Pogue's trick training, and the treats associated with it, because Lyle and I needed to make a good connection. He was badly damaged and this was the only way I could figure to begin a conversation with him. But Lyle and I now have enough mutual, reciprical, feel between us that I have started to do ground work with no treats.

Because I need a guide in my work with Lyle, I am following Mr. Bill Dorrance's teaching as it starts on page 79 of his book, "True Horsemanship Through Feel." Here is what is so interesting: Lyle is NOT bothered because he does not get a food treat now. He will ask for one very politely. But when a treat is not there he will quietly go about the task that I have presented to him. Mr. Dorrance strongly advises against the use of hand fed treats. What this tells me is that Lyle is ready to be "weaned" from any food reward for his co-operation. Mr. Pogue's trick training worked because it gave Lyle and I a shared way to start to feel of each other. So Mr. Pogue's method was good in its context. And I do remember that Mr. Pogue does teach how to move beyond food rewards. So Mr. Dorrance and Mr. Pogue are in agreement here, that there is a time to move beyond food rewards.

I really hope that you, dear reader, do not mind reading more about what Bill Dorrance teaches in my writing. I do need a guide and Bill Dorrance's teaching as it is contained in his book is what I personally need now.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Kootenai Curly Horses

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

1 comment:

  1. I still sometimes use a treat as a reward but not all the time. Sometimes I do go back to treats when the circumstances ask for it but I don't want the horses to become to spoilt or become too much focussed on the food so I try to minimase the treats. It is great that different trainers and teqniques can be used to compliment each other!

    ReplyDelete