Friday, October 28, 2011

Saddle Up!

3rd time appears to be a charm and the all purpose english saddle I got Linus fits him like a charm and he mich prefers the girth on it. It looks so small on him compared to the western! And I have dedinitely graduated to needing a mounting block to get on him. We need to revisit the whoa while mounting lesson. He tried to keep getting to grass yesterday. A helper to hold him would have been faster but I want him doing it on his own. When I did get him to focus better he stood like a statue and even waited for me to adjust the stirrups. The saddle was surprisingly comfy but I found the seat to be pretty slippery. Id rather do something at the seat to fix this rather than making sure I always have the same pants on!
Linus loves a challenge and I think he is very geared up for the challenge to start on Tuesday! Maybe I should dress him up for Halloween first! That would be fun.
I hope more riders have signed up! Denise does a fantastic job running the RAC and its challenges. I think a great way to say thank you is to participate! And then have lots of fun!
Donna & Linus
Ontario

5 comments:

  1. He looks so grown up. Some people wear full seat breeches to help keep the butt in the saddle. I mostly wear jeans, but I know what you're talking about with the Slippery Seat Syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    You have more nerve than I do. I would be afraid to ride in one of those "pancake" saddles! But it will give you a very good seat by the time you are done! LInus sure looks good and ready for the challenge.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find these saddles very comfortable, it is very similar to mine and I hope yu love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Penny. Its definitely outside my usual comfort zone but I think having used the bareback pad so much has better prepared me for it. I wouldn't do it if I didn't trust Linus so much too!
    Thanks Jessica...it sure works different muscles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna,
    After I studied your English saddle I realized that it is very similar to the old time McClellan military saddle. The seat is shaped the same and the stirrups are hung the same. The only difference is that the old McClellan has more pommel. I have ridden in a McClellan and really liked it. I am glad that I can relate it to something that I already know about.
    Thank you for your patience with me.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete