Sunday, October 30, 2011

Linus has a new skill on his resume too Chester!

Linus is learning to check the cows and fence. Oursis electric so no painting required! So while Angie was on her sofa (Chesterfield), Linus was working.   ; )
We first took Allie up to the barn. She is my Dad's half Arab and hasn't been through a regular sized door since having been beaten out of her last barn for going inside too far past her stall. Linus is her support. He doesn't go before her because she has to build some confidence in herself but we stay close. Calm and steady. She did it! My Dad was so proud and you could instantly see her new level of trust. Linus has been going through that door since he came home so he was fine.
We did have some work to do though. I wasn't impressed with him not standing for mounting the other day so we worked on that today. He stands but the mounting block is new so that was the issue. So after some groundwork we tacked up and stood. Dad asked if I wanted him to hold Linus but I said no since we were working on it. (Allie needs the same work)
So we stood with me on the ground. He did awesome until I stood on the box then he wanted to face me! So we worked on that. After ten minutes I got on with hin standing still. Next lesson is staying still until I say go!
We walked up the laneway and to the corner of the road and back. A tack test! I survived my longest ride so far in the english saddle. Does that ever work different muscles! But it is comfy.
on the way back we checked the weanling heifers. Linus loves this! He likes to try to play with them.
one more day of rest til the November challenge!

3 comments:

  1. Donna,
    Linus is turning into a mighty fine Curly ranch horse....guessing I need to send you a great big ole Western Ranch saddle{:> Actually, I will be the first to admit that the number of muscles used in riding English is amazing. I have even had Barrel racing friends borrow my English saddles to tone up. I tell them they think they are sitting in a Harley Davidson in those pocketed Barrel racing saddles. Actually, I should take my own advice by the look of those photos my hubby took{:>

    I do love what a gentleman Linus is and that is because he has a good leader in you. Allie is a trooper...keep up the good work.

    Meantime, Chester and I will get our Dressage saddle out and tone up for the competition{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    It is wonderful that Linus is useful for checking on your cattle. I really like it when a horse has a real job and is not just used for pleasure.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha thanks Angie. He will eventually have another western. This is just the best fit for him now. I believe the toning thing! I need to adjust to it more than he does! But we're getting there. He's a good fella to work with.
    He has good work ethic too which should come in handy for November's challenge!

    ReplyDelete