Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Teacher's Pet

We are gradually working our way toward the end of autumn. In the mornings now, the clover is crispy - covered with frost crystals. These are the days one has to bundle up to get dawn chores done .. then spend the day shedding layers bit by bit. We've been getting some great rides in here in Vermont along with working with our other projects of keeping the sale horses pretty well schooled and moving the younger horses up the levels of training. I was thrilled yesterday when one of my favorite pupils was hitched for the first time to the cart ! Remember my beautiful smooth coated Ozzie boy ?  What a level headed young fellow he is - pulling the cart all over the yard and practicing his stepping over and turns. Even though I work with these horses all the time, I am still continually impressed with their willingness.

This is his first time hitched.  He is still in the 'goldilocks' stage of things -- neither the small cart nor the medium cart was just right.  I went with the medium cart - but there are adjustments that need to made for the next session.  These shafts are too long for him so I will trade out the traces for longer ones for now and obviously the tug loops need to be lowered.  But - for now, we are just going to ground drive around the yard and see how things go.

What a great little gelding !!  next time.. I'll spend the time to adjust everything and perhaps this little man will actually pull a person a little bit.

For this -- a video speaks louder than photo's ! What a great fellow -- he's going to make a very quiet dependable driving pony.. I bet every bit as stupendous as my awesome Nimue.  And - one day he'll also be great medium pony under saddle ! I am super proud of him.  He is a bit of a teacher's pet :)

Betsy and Ozzie in Vermont

8 comments:

  1. Betsy I remember the time at your place. SOOO wunderful. Thank for sharing, so I can remember better. You are really No. 1 with carts :)
    Best
    Caren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy,
    "Teacher's pets" are GOOD to have! Ozzie looks good. The cart is a wonderful first step towards saddle training.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ozzie is cute as a button and looks to be soft and sweet. He is so gentle and willing, pulling the cart. What a nice, nice pony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies :) Ozzie has been a special love of mine since he was born.. and he is not disappointing me. I have more news on him from today so watch for that !!

    Caren -- please let me know when you are back in the US -- so you can plan to come stay with me for a few days and we can go out sightseeing with horses !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, I can see why Ozzie is teacher's pet! Such a cute, calm and willing little gelding! You are the BEST when it comes to driving!!! Can't wait to spend some time with you again.....shouldn't be that far off (one down, another about to leave and the list of others to go has been finalized!:~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this guy! He's so calm...no wonder he is a teachers pet...hard not to be when he's also a teachers favourite eh Betsy! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definetly visit you next year, Betsy :) I simply loved your place! Let us do trail ride and cart riding :) I know you can teach me a lot!
    Hugs Caren

    ReplyDelete
  8. bring a BIG suitcase Caren as I may send you back with a driving pony all your own to tour
    Europe ! :)

    ReplyDelete