Monday, October 17, 2011

One Last Hor-rah for the Year





Well we wrapped up our camping trip this year with a trip to Forestville Mystery Cave in southern MN. This is my oldest favorite place to ride and we try to make it there at least just once a year. (It is about a 4 hour drive) Left before the sun even got up on Friday am cause we wanted to beat the high winds to conserve on fuel. We had invited a few others with us this weekend to ride with. One is an older retired gentleman, a woman and her son, and then my cousin (who proposed to his g-friend this weekend) and his new fiance'. Friday after setting camp up we got out for a 3 hour ride to see what fall colors there where left to see. It was blistery, windy, and cool. You can see from the pictures we are bundled up! Saturday rolled around and we where out about 5 hours or more, lost track we where having such a good time. It was a new place for our company to ride so we took our time. Packed out lunches and let the horses break as well. Despite the cool breezy weather all of us still sat around the fire in the evening socializing. Sunday Gary the retired gentleman made everyone a huge waffle, bacon, egg breakfast! Ate to much it was hard to get on Marley :) Went out for a few hour ride cause we still had to clean up camp and the kids wanted to go to the cave. Tristin, the other child that we rode with is handicapped. I was very very impressed with him and his horse how well they worked together to do the trails, nothing stopped either one of them. His mom is trying to train in another trail mount for him and has gone through several horses already trying to find the right one. His horse is in the upper 20's and so they know the need is great. he rides in a chair and was very fun to talk with as well. So it was a great way to end our season till next year. Many new friends and many memories made this weekend. Forestville is a old ghost town. It has so much history and they have actors there in the summer and you can tie your horses up and go through the town and take the tours etc. This time of year it is all buttoned up. This is also a park that if you need to work on water crossings this has several of them. By the end of a weekend you will have a water crossing pro. They are all very shallow, even the river that you can see right to the bottom. The kids sure enjoyed seeing all the trout swimming as we crossed. And yes the picture below he is sticking his tounge out at me! I think Dad had a little bit to do with that cause he is my smiley kid for the camera :) I had to put that last one in there it was to cute not too.


Well I am ready for this Team Challenge for November, whatever that might be and can't wait to find out either. I am just hoping that weather cooperates with us. I have had such a blast this year and made many new friends. Best of luck to the teams for the last challenge of the year my fearless partners are ready! (at least I hope)


Marley & Dana, MN

6 comments:

  1. Dana,
    I have a favor to ask of you. Please contact me privately at penny@wpjohnson.net. This is because I am working with a lovely handicapped lady who wants to ride. Her name is Cindy and it would be wonderful if Tristin's mother and Cindy established a deep friendship. You cousin sure picked a wonderful place to ask his beloved to marry him. Such wonderful memories for both of them.
    The pictures are lovely. But the long ride and camp out were even better.
    I have a song in my heart after reading your blog. You and Marley helped me to find that song.
    Thank you for giving me the song!
    Penny Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Dana. Your fearless partners are definitely ready!! Especially to kick some Maine/Texas partner butt!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, you go to some of the coolest places! You made me laugh with your comment on mounting after the huge breakfast. It inspired me to make Breakfast for Supper last night and my kids were very happy. I'm sorry to say that if you and Donna think you are going to kick some Maine/Texas butt, you are both delusional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, you are such a comedian!
    -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana, I have lived in Minnesota all my life, where is this place you camp and ride??? Looks great.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harold, This is at Forestville Mystery Cave in south eastern MN (south of Rochester, by Spring Valley, closer to Wykoff). It truly is a beautiful fun park to ride at, and very highly used as well and hard to get reservations at a drop of a hat, most have to be made a month or 2 in advance.

    ReplyDelete